Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 21-06-2007 , 07:17 AM

computer vs programs

hi everybody I just wanna work 3d and will buy a new notebook but I can't make a decision between macbooks or pcs. what kind of computer you use? what are tha adventages and disadvantages a macbook for 3d working?

Last edited by various artist; 21-06-2007 at 07:31 AM.
# 2 21-06-2007 , 08:10 AM
The Maya Mountain
i personally use a PC. I don't really think it matters one way or another for 3D work if you use apple or pc or whatever.

# 3 21-06-2007 , 08:35 AM
Well, I use a Macbook Pro and I've used a PC for a long time. I can tell you that Macs are great, but the greatest thing is that the Macs out right now support both Mac OS X and Windows XP/Vista. You can boot either OS and it works great.

Most of the 3D apps are available for Mac, 3DS Max and ZBrush 3 are not available (ZBrush will come soon, I think).

There are no real advantages for Mac over PC, the apps are the same. The OS is more stable than XP/Vista, but that all depends on how you use your computer. If you're a responsible user Windows is just as stable as Tiger. Then there's the visual part. In my opinion Macs look and feel much better than PC laptops. But that quality is something you pay for, Macs are generally more expensive than PC's. But, Mac laptops generally stay useful for a long time, I've used my previous Powerbook for 6 years, never a problem.

The Mac OS, Tiger, is great. Very stable and slick. Unlike Windows you don't have to worry about viruses, which is great. In October the new Apple OS will debut, Leopard, and it's looking very impressive.

So yeah, me being a Mac user I would recommend a Mac. You don't lose the functionality of Windows because you can use XP/Vista on your Mac. It is even possible to have Windows apps inside Tiger, using Parallels. Also, they look great and just work. On the other hand, they're more expensive, and especially with laptops you have no real upgrade possibility. Maybe a hard drive, but no graphics cards. But if you want upgradability you should buy a tower PC/Mac, and no laptop.

# 4 21-06-2007 , 03:07 PM
Senior Software Developer
The majority of the industry use PC/Windows. Forget the Mac as Maya 8+ is very buggy and tends to crash alot.

Its not 100% tru that macs are virus free they are just not. Especially since they are x86 based now. Even under Risk Chip there was one or two viruses.

Stick with what you know, if you already know windows stay with it.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 5 21-06-2007 , 09:41 PM
thanks for your help!!

# 6 21-06-2007 , 11:14 PM
I use a PC, I thought of the switch to mac a while ago, but chose PC, I was going for a new laptop, with a PC you get more choice especially in the graphics department, which maya can be a bit pickey with, also a lot of the programms that I may/may not use seem to be windows only (at the mo) and I couldent see any advantage of a dual boot system... seemed to me like buying an automatic car with a manual system and never using the auto box, and paying extra for it too.

end ofthe day though its up to you, I went with the Dell XPS M1710. which I was comapring to the Mac Book Pro, as its a simliar price, but has a better screen res, better graphics, same processor's, RAM options (although the XPS can go to 4 Gig, where the mac Maxes out at 2 gig). Dosent look as pretty as the mac though!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 7 22-06-2007 , 02:21 AM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by gster123
RAM options (although the XPS can go to 4 Gig, where the mac Maxes out at 2 gig).

Macs donÕt need as much memory as PCs though.

Last edited by Jr.Who; 22-06-2007 at 02:29 AM.
# 8 22-06-2007 , 02:30 AM
Jr.Who > 'Mac donÕt need as much memory as PCs though.'

While the Mac OS may not need as much memory as Vista, its still vital for your apps (such as Maya) to get as much memory as possible.

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 9 22-06-2007 , 03:25 AM

Originally posted by Jr.Who
Macs donÕt need as much memory as PCs though.

Not up to a gigabyte difference, poss 100 meg or so, and if your going to run windows off a mac, wont that take up the memory anyway??

Like the Architect said if your running programms that take up lots of RAM (like maya) having a restriction on the max you can use is a bit of a pain when its not the max of the OS

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle