Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 14-08-2004 , 10:31 AM

rendering problem maya 6

Hi everyone, i have a car model here thats 20mb big, i have 2.66GHZ P4 with 1g ram, but i've always have a problem rendering, it either freeze or it takes way too long..not even trying to render the whole car..i just try the front part of the car (ex. front bumper, fender, door, hood...etc) it still take me around 11mins with high quality, and if i were to try rendering the whole car...it takes forever and just freeze up and won't load...i don't know if it's either the way i modeled my car was wrong that i have the file way too heavy...or if i have set anything wrong..but i didn't change any setting after i installed maya...and id on't think my com is not fast enough either....this really stop me from continuing my 3d work and makes me wanna stop using maya....please help so i can finish my projects and do some more....ur help would be appreciated...thanks!

# 2 14-08-2004 , 10:50 AM
oh and btw, i am using Sub-D, i tried to convert it back to poly and it render no problem....i am starting to wonder if i converted it to sub-D wrong....or the render speed is just how it is suppose to be...in another word...theres nothing wrong?

# 3 15-08-2004 , 04:43 AM
Subscriber
hey bud, which renderer are you using. If your using Mental Ray this may be the issue. Not all sub d surfaces are supported.

# 4 15-08-2004 , 05:25 AM
Subscriber
also make sure you select the transform node of your poly mesh and not the shapeNode before you convert to subD and vice versa, as this make become problematic and create 2 shape nodes (i.e. 2 surfaces get input from one transform node. ) and in the maya doc (5.0... i'm sure it's the samething in 6.0) you can mess with the tesselation of MR (if u are using MR, i assume you are) and MR will not render non-quad subD meshes.
good luck.
i hope the car i'm modeling does not end up 20mb! as my PIII machine would explode! user added image :p