Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 09-08-2011 , 03:15 PM
Subscriber

Active rigid body disappearing

I'm trying to make a very simple dynamic simulation with two objects. One is a passive rigid body that's animated to rotate 180 degrees every 2 seconds. The other is an active rigid body that slides down the edge of the first object, pulled by gravity, until it collides with the bottom of the passive body's geometry. See screenshots. After 2 seconds (60 frames), the passive rotates 180, carrying the active body with it, and then stops, at which point the active body slides down to the bottom again, pulled by gravity. This process repeats several times.

Problem: After 1, 2, sometimes 3 180-degree rotations of the passive body, the active body begins to misbehave in very strange ways. It doesn't always happen at the same time, either. The translate and rotate attributes become "-1.#IO". I'm thinking maybe the floating point math is getting out of hand and Maya is beginning to round the numbers, causing interpenetration? But in my very limited experience with maya/dynamics, if that were the case it should just interpenetrate and throw a warning, not obliterate the geometry, right? I have the Step Size and Collision Tolerance set to .001 for the solver. Maybe it's a frame rate issue? I have it set at 30fps, play every frame. The project is attached, and screen shots are below for quick reference. Any ideas are more than welcome. Thanks!

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

Attached Files
File Type: zip simpleMachine.zip (14.4 KB, 392 views)
# 2 19-10-2011 , 12:45 PM
Lifetime Member
see. whenever you work with rigid bodies always remember they should not interpolate with each other before the simulation takes place. In your case, you just have to keep the pCube2 little separate from pCube1. make sure none of the faces of pCube2 is inserting in pCube1.
good luck. user added image