Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 25-01-2005 , 02:06 AM

Getting a Pic on an Object in Maya 6.0

I have a pic that is a transparent .gif, but I can xfer it to a .jpg, targa, .ai, .psd, etc. I wish to have this pic on a circle or flat cylinder in Maya that I can then animate. I have spent almost an entire day poring over tutorials and writing to any Maya chat room that will let me, but still no luck. Help!

# 2 25-01-2005 , 05:17 AM
Subscriber
Keith,
I answered this when you posted in the textures forum:

Okay, first things first... a circle has no surface. If you're using the NURBS circle primative, the first you have to is use it to create a surface.

Select the circle primative then, from the surfaces menu select planar. Now select the newly created surface, right-click (and hold) on it to bring up the marking menu. From the bottom of the marking menu select Materials-->Assign new material-->(Shader type; blinn, lambert, etc.). The attribute editor for your new shader should open on the right of your screen. Left-click on the checkered option box to right of the color slider. This opens the create render node dialog. From this dialog select file. The attribute editor will shift to file options. Left-click on the folder icon and navigate to your .gif image. With the .gif selected, click the open button and your .gif should now be assigned to your surface. Be sure you're in the texture shaded view (press "6") or lighted view (press "7") in order to view the image on your surface. Animating is whole other area.

If this doesn't make sense, then go the Maya help and read up NURBS planar, and creating NURBS surface. Again the circle has no surface.

Good Luck and happy modelling.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."

Last edited by mhcannon; 25-01-2005 at 02:17 PM.
# 3 25-01-2005 , 08:10 AM
Thanks, that's what it was. Honestly, I've been a full time db person for years, and have no respect for someone who won't take a good stab at searching archives or web sites, but this one stumped me. user added image !

The animation is very clear and intuitive, but the fact that a circle had no surface didn't sink in until just now.user added image user added image

Thanks again! user added image