Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 04-08-2006 , 11:49 AM

Cant Subdivide!!!

I cant seem to convert a polygon model into a subdiv model. On script editor it says that ''This polygon contains an interior vertex connected by less than 3 edges.'' And then: ''The indices of the vertices in question are: 739, 744.'' So how do I find the verticies in question? The script editor doesnt tell me the max amount of face I should have either!!!

HHEELLPP!!

# 2 04-08-2006 , 12:50 PM
Hmm, okay one thing that I would try first would be to go into vertice mode (Rclick>Vertices) I would marquee select all of the vertices and hit delete. This will delete any vertices that are just floating around on your model that may not be dependent on any other edges. You could also go into xray mode (shading>xray) and look for the abherent vertice...

If that doesnt work I would make sure that you dont have any double vertices that are close, but yet not together...and I would merge those vertices. This sometimes happens when you mirror and object and the center vertices arent merged together...

There is another option, but being away from Maya atm, I dont want to put up bad instructions on how to do it. But basically you can make maya highlight any faces that are not quads, or have n-sided edges and that might show you the abherent face.

# 3 04-08-2006 , 01:08 PM
Thank you very much, i will try out your advice : )

# 4 05-08-2006 , 07:08 PM
this problem often occurs after double extruding - when extruding a face - forgeting about it and extruding again without moving the faces in between.

I guess you will not be able to delete those verts cause they are connected to an border edge.

try this

select -r objectsName.vtx[739] objectsName.vtx[744]

in adition you might try to convert it to faces and delete them with this command

PolySelectConvert 1;

keep in mind tho that all faces around the 2 verts are going to be selected.

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.

Last edited by Falott; 05-08-2006 at 07:11 PM.