Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 13-03-2007 , 03:38 AM

FG Sword

Hi. I haven't been as active as I'd like on this site, but I'm trying to change that. user added image I wanted to start by posting a little something I worked on, and asking what you guys thought. I made an IBL node and mapped a grid texture to it for this shot

user added image

# 2 13-03-2007 , 04:09 AM
Wowwwwwwww user added image user added image

Simply amazing.......how did you render the scene....love it

Can you post a wire?

"One day someone tells me that I was no one, no one is perfect, if God is perfect so I'm God" - No One
# 3 13-03-2007 , 12:12 PM
Me gusta mucho! Hay que fabuloso! How long did it take to render?

Expect to excell...
# 4 13-03-2007 , 12:21 PM
Thanks, guys user added image I'll post a wireframe in a bit.

As to the rendering, I used Mental Ray Final Gather with an IBL node with a grid texture mapped on it. There's also a very low-intensity point light off-screen upper right, for shadows but looking back I think I could have done without that. The number of FG rays weren't that high, around 600. Or is that high? I'm a bit new to FG.

At NTSC the render took about three minutes, Mental Ray Production settings. I tried rendering at 12"X16" at 250 dpi and it took 34 minutes, hahaha!

# 5 13-03-2007 , 12:23 PM

Originally posted by Calvin
Thanks, guys user added image I'll post a wireframe in a bit.

At NTSC the render took about three minutes, Mental Ray Production settings. I tried rendering at 12"X16" at 250 dpi and it took 34 minutes, hahaha!

Whoa! I'll tell you what WHOA!! (Bartok from Anastasia)

Expect to excell...
# 6 13-03-2007 , 12:30 PM
Haha, funny bat, that Bartok.

Just to put things in perspective, those render times were on an AMD Athlon64 2 Ghz, 1 Gig of Ram and a NVidia GeforceFX 6600 card.

# 7 13-03-2007 , 12:56 PM

Originally posted by Calvin
Haha, funny bat, that Bartok.

Just to put things in perspective, those render times were on an AMD Athlon64 2 Ghz, 1 Gig of Ram and a NVidia GeforceFX 6600 card.

Shoot dang! That's good processing! If my high school were to have that, I wouldn't have to worry too much about quality of the render! I could be happy! Of course, it's not too bad. My piano video with full raytracing (1000 frames) took over two days to render.

Sparticus

Expect to excell...
# 8 13-03-2007 , 01:03 PM
We all have stories like that user added image When I was studying I also rendered so many frames over the weekend. Thank goodness no one turned the machine off, and it didn't crash, as I was rendering .AVI's. So if it did, I would have started all over again.

Here's the wireframe render:

user added image

# 9 14-03-2007 , 06:10 AM
Very very nice, the only thing I feel doesn't fit is the Sword of Kings font. Maybe use something a bit more classical. Otherwise great model!

# 10 14-03-2007 , 06:18 AM
Subscriber
nice model

only crit is that u have a lot of setail on the top but none on the sides
seems a little odd to me

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 11 14-03-2007 , 06:35 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by IJke
Very very nice, the only thing I feel doesn't fit is the Sword of Kings font. Maybe use something a bit more classical. Otherwise great model!

I agree, I think the font should be more of an Old English text or something medieval looking. other than that I love the sword!

# 12 15-03-2007 , 08:25 PM
Subscriber
thats a really nice render of the sword ... looks pretty sweet i feel like buying one now user added image just out of curiousity, what is in the backround/enviroment which is making them really wicked reflections on the buttom of the sword(handle), thanks

marlon

# 13 16-03-2007 , 07:21 AM
Hey, thanks, marlonjohn. That's actually a grid texture mapped to an IBL node. I think I rotated it 30 degrees or so, and sometimes just doing that makes the reflections more interesting I find.

IJke and Rhetoric Camel, yeah, I initially wanted to write it in Latin, so I picked a font that kinda looks like the font they use in the HBO series ROME, but I didn't figure out what "sword" was in Latin. I know King is Rex or Regis... What font would you guys suggest?

And as for the lack of design on the sides, well, the original I copied didn't have any so I left them out. But I see what you mean, pbman. I'll add some more of the vine-like design things to the side.

user added image