Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 01-04-2008 , 11:39 AM

exploding cube

Hi,
I want to make an animation from a cube which explodes into smaller pieces. Someone has an idea how to do that??
red_roxxor

# 2 01-04-2008 , 02:47 PM
Subscriber
You will need to crack the cube into pieces, make them rigid bodies and blow them away with a radial field.

Maya has a crack procedure but it is fairly outdated nowadays, I would recommend heading over to Highend3D and downloading a script called 'crackMe'. You can then use this script to cut up the geometry before you turn the pieces into rigid bodies.

Chris

# 3 01-04-2008 , 05:28 PM
very good

# 4 01-04-2008 , 05:54 PM
i'm new in maya so pls forgive if i asking crap, but isn't every object in maya concave?? I would just split up the faces.

# 5 01-04-2008 , 07:01 PM
Maya's shatters scripts pretty good, I wouldent say its outdated, theres not really anything thats out there otherwise (blastcodes agreat one) that crackme looks like it uses boolians, which can cause problems.

If you want to make it look random when it explodes, use the shatter, but if you want it to be uniform, juswt seperate the faces as you said.... than use rigids and a keyed radial field.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 02-04-2008 , 11:55 PM
thx i'll try that