Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 08-12-2008 , 07:41 AM
i think you have some topology issues around the mouth and nose. i see some tris that could be cleaned up so it deforms a little cleaner. other then that looking good

Just make it work

www.createdestroy.net/kcin
# 17 08-12-2008 , 08:02 AM
Super Moderator
I don't think it'll be a problem to show artistic boobies in a w.i.p here but its always good to play it safe LOL. I'm here squinting and debating, and I think the back seems a little too big, thats what stands out most for me.

- Genny
# 18 08-12-2008 , 02:52 PM
Subscriber

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 19 08-12-2008 , 07:41 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Chirone
it's still around:
https://forums.thegnomonworkshop.com/...ead.php?t=1601
free tutorial

HE HE thats what I was looking for many thx - as they say at the top of that link its been moved a number of times and have had a hard time finding it again - so many thanks.

Originally posted by Lok1
i think you have some topology issues around the mouth and nose. i see some tris that could be cleaned up so it deforms a little cleaner. other then that looking good

Yer will do some more work on the mouth when I finnish the inner part.

Originally posted by GecT
I'm here squinting and debating, and I think the back seems a little too big, thats what stands out most for me.

The back ??? you lost me alittle there but not to worry the camera will not be that low anyway. The only reason I built this much was to not have a floating head.

Now lets make some eyes

# 20 09-12-2008 , 03:00 PM
Deceide how far your going with this? Full body?

Edit - Sorry the first word should have been decided, my bad!

Just when I read it back it sounded harsh, like "oi decide what your doing" which it wasn't!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle

Last edited by gster123; 09-12-2008 at 03:08 PM.
# 21 09-12-2008 , 03:34 PM
Subscriber
No still only going to be the upper half for now - I might go back and finnish her off.

Got the eye done - not going to post that much for that as it was just the tut but here are some test renders I did alone the way and a video test as well
(plz forgive the back ground as I added the projecton map to the animation of the eye [slaps one self across the face - durrr])

user added image

Video Link (zip)

# 22 10-12-2008 , 05:00 AM
Subscriber
God darrrn it - have to start the eyes again.

Some how - in the time I was away today maya and mental ray has decided to throw a hissey fit over the tiff images it created for the eye when converted to texture map and no matter what I do to the textures now looked blurred. - the bump looks so bad.

Maya is also not liking the shadder at all with my persp cam not hardware texturing unless I tare off a copy.

Oh and my sub - d and nurbs surfaces are some how polys now as well.

And to make things worse is the fact I forgot to turn on incremental save on after my reinstall of windows so the work I thought was backed up is not there. - errrrrrrr

:hug:

Just another day in the life of Maya - well at least it will be good pratice.

And at least my memory problem has not come back.

# 23 10-12-2008 , 09:57 AM
Subscriber
i wasn't aware that you could turn on incremental save user added image

those eyes looked cool (just like mine) but the middle of the iris looks weird...

btw, where did you get your iris texture from?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 24 10-12-2008 , 11:07 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
i thought incremental save was only in max....and it tends to fill up hard disks as quickly as viruses spread

# 25 10-12-2008 , 01:26 PM
Incremental save is a must. What if you accidentally delete some objects and then save? You're screwed.

And who cares if it fills up the harddisk, with harddisks around 1TB these days? And when you're project is finished you just delete all backups to free space.

# 26 10-12-2008 , 02:32 PM
Subscriber
It is the most useful thing in Maya and can`t beleave people don`t know about it. Just look at me now - lost a whole 9 hours work which could have been saved in less than a minute.

Incremental save is under the option box for save and I have it set to 25 files (you can have it set to unlimited) - that way it keeps it from over clogging my hard drive space
(I have 3TB though so not really a problem). It also helps if you work with projects set as it keeps them i a nice litle folder for you

But I do tend to go in and delete them once I finish a project

Chirone - The texture was a google image search on "very large" setting.

# 27 10-12-2008 , 06:20 PM
It's looking really great can't wait to see the finished productuser added image

https://www.stevenpalomino.com
# 28 10-12-2008 , 07:16 PM
Subscriber
If I ever get a chance to finnsh it.

Arrrrrrr bloody PC`s - another day another new problem

user added image

as you can see the manipulator is working in the side but not at all in the top or prep views and some very funky thing going on in the front.

Tried 3 different sets of drivers and nothing

I`m never turning Maya off ever again.

I have nothing else running and as you can see I`m right at the start of re doing the eye so the scene is not that heavy

# 29 10-12-2008 , 08:59 PM
Subscriber
Well after 18 different set of drivers I solved the problem - at last. funny thing is these drivers are for the quadro but are running like a dream.

I so need a new PC

Got the eye redone but not sure about this one - not as good as the one I lost I think.

user added image

Last edited by tweetytunes; 11-12-2008 at 02:35 AM.
# 30 11-12-2008 , 02:35 AM
Super Moderator
Its probably not your PC entirely, it could be just the video card messing up or it could be the drivers not playing nice with Maya. Would that be XP x64 by any chance?

- Genny