Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 22-02-2003 , 05:33 PM

Film Back

I dont know how many people have a photography background, but could someone explain the meaning of the different Film Back settings for a camera. I recognize the choices but I dont really know what the differences are besides some appear closer then others.
I would really appreciate it if someone can fill me in on each choice.

mahalo,

Myk

<a href="https://www.metic.net" rel="noopener noreferrer nofollow" class="giveMeEllipsisa" target="_blank">www.metic.net</a><br />
# 2 23-02-2003 , 06:53 AM
In a real camera, the size of the film back determines how wide a given focal length of lens looks. Like a real camera, Maya uses the relationships between focal length, sizes of objects, and the scale of the film back to determine how the field of view and depth of field should look.

You can probably use whatever film back setting you like unless you're working to match live-action footage, or unless you're trying to match animation from another software package, in which case it's critical to make sure that your settings match.

-- Mark

Mark R. Wilkins
author of MEL Scripting for Maya Animators
www.melscripting.com