Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 17-01-2007 , 09:50 AM
Subscriber

House on the ocean

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time posting here. I am a student about to graduate and I have used maya for about a year now.I get tutorials from here every now and then that look interesting to see if their are any new techniques I can pick up to speed my modeling up. I did kurts tutorial on the haunted house and then added a few extra elements to kind of make it my own rendered scene. Tell me what you think.

user added image

Last edited by banksta; 17-01-2007 at 09:55 AM.
# 2 17-01-2007 , 09:54 AM
Subscriber
wheres the image

# 3 17-01-2007 , 10:05 AM
Subscriber
feedback please kind people.

# 4 17-01-2007 , 11:03 AM
yeah i think it's cool, i just think that instead of doing all your models following tutorials u should just get the idea of how to make the model from a tutorial and then do your own model, and don't need to worry about the time you spend working on a model, more time usually means more quality lolololol well just keep trying and you 'll improve, no doubts, lol hoping to see more of your works

M!G0nS@
# 5 17-01-2007 , 11:36 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by migonsa
yeah i think it's cool, i just think that instead of doing all your models following tutorials u should just get the idea of how to make the model from a tutorial and then do your own model, and don't need to worry about the time you spend working on a model, more time usually means more quality lolololol well just keep trying and you 'll improve, no doubts, lol hoping to see more of your works

Thanks for the feedback man. I actually do create on my own, I just haven't posted it up yet. I just thought the house went pretty well with the extra elements I added. I just posted it because I wanted to give people really new to maya a feel for what you can do with practice. I really liked the house Kurt drew and decided to use it in a scene. Even though I am at intermediate level with maya I still think doing tutorials here and their benefits you. I also think kurt does a good job in his tutorials and this is kind of a free endorsement for him.When I started modeling their where not as many good tutorials out their to help me advance so I had to spend hours just learning little things that I laugh about now. He explains pretty well how to do things in his tutorials which I think is a benefit to brand new 3d modelers. I will post some more work up shortly. Once again thanks for the feedback.

# 6 17-01-2007 , 12:04 PM
Lighting is everything but OK. Where are the shadows.
In the tutorial they talk about lighting right, what hapend

goksimaster
# 7 17-01-2007 , 12:12 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by goksimaster
Lighting is everything but OK. Where are the shadows.
In the tutorial they talk about lighting right, what hapend

I have not actually finished the lighting yet because I am still trying to figure out if I want to give it a more spooky feel or not. I will repost when I have better lighting. Thanks for the input.

# 8 17-01-2007 , 01:43 PM
Subscriber
the water is way too bright for night time... it is a night scene right? looks that way. either way with the clouds and the way the sky looks a lake/ocean/sea wouldn't look that green/bright...

# 9 17-01-2007 , 01:54 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Rhetoric Camel
the water is way too bright for night time... it is a night scene right? looks that way. either way with the clouds and the way the sky looks a lake/ocean/sea wouldn't look that green/bright...

Thanks for the input

# 10 17-01-2007 , 08:44 PM
Also about the water... it seems to 'realistic'. You have a style mismatch - the house is done cartoonish, while the water is realistic. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to make it seem like the water is cartoonish....

Book Wise

https://X4nd5r.deviantart.com
# 11 19-01-2007 , 09:23 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Xander-0
Also about the water... it seems to 'realistic'. You have a style mismatch - the house is done cartoonish, while the water is realistic. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to make it seem like the water is cartoonish....

Thanks for the input

# 12 20-01-2007 , 06:06 PM
Acid44
there is a simple way to make the water look more cartooninsh: just make a poly plane stretch it out to size and apply a basic ocean shader make small changes till it looks how you want it

havent done it in a while but it looked cartoony to meuser added image

i like the mix of realism and cartoon but i think it would work better if the whole area surrounding the house was realistic and just the house was cartoony or vice-versauser added image

# 13 21-01-2007 , 10:11 AM
Subscriber
haha great idea with putting the house on the ocean. the sky needs to be more lighter to match the water i reckon, but i think youved done an good job. the water looks cartoonish which i like about that, it had a nice aqua cooler to it.

marlon