Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 31-01-2003 , 09:26 PM

Why are hard decisions so hard?

user added image
user added image

Why are hard decisions so hard?

For the past two years, I have been trying to find a job in the engineering field while I go to school for my Associates in Engineering. This now my last semester and I only have one class left. For the past two years I have had ZERO offers. Deciding to continue school after my associates, I chose to take my artistic path and I applied to Rhode Island School of Design and Rochester Institute of Technlogy for a degree in Film/Video/Animation. Leaning towards Digital Animation. user added image And getting away from my home town to experience many posibilities.

Anyway, I got a phone call yesterday from an Engineering firm. I met with them today, and they want to offer me a job. What they had to offer was a great package, a job that's everything I've been looking for in the field of Engineering. The offer is just amazing for me.

They Have a great thing for me, the only catch is; they want me for a long term commitment.

Now this is the tricky part. For a year now, I have been very exicited about continuing school for Digital Animation. I have been very big in art and computer art. My applications are out and should find out if accepted to schools in March.

However, the Engineering Firm won't hire me if I choose to continue school in animation next semester. They want me to stay home and continue Engineering and work for them.

user added image

I want the job bad, but I also want to pursue Digital Animation just as bad.

user added image
What the hell would you do in this situation??
user added image

I'm just curious to hear some peoples thoughts. This is going to take me some time to decide though.

Right now, I'm leaning towards leaving and going to school for Animation.

__________________________________________________ _

Sorry for wasting ten minutes of your life.
user added image I'm just very happy, excited, angry, frustrated, confused, and many other words I can't think of right now.
But I just had to tell someone about my awful choices.

I feel that many of you are working in your career where you may have had a crucial decision about your path that lead you where you are.
And that some might be right where I am. Ready and confused on what decision to make.

Thanks!!
user added image
And again SORRY was wasting minutes of your life.user added image

- Matt
# 2 31-01-2003 , 09:46 PM
Id say, stop thinking so complex and start thinking simple. If you feel you are having to many doubts with that job, then dont take the job. just pick the choice you think you would enjoy more.

# 3 31-01-2003 , 09:47 PM
Because of the sh*tty job market, I'd TAKE the eng. gig man!

You can ALWAYS do animation.....

Also, just because you tell them "Yes", doesn't not mean you HAVE to stay there if a more enjoyable animation opportunity (school or whatever) comes along....

Just my 47/10ths of 2 cents..... user added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 4 31-01-2003 , 09:56 PM
Subscriber
Wow,
That's a tough one Matt.

What would happen if you say you will work for them, but then in March you change your mind? Sure it's not the nicest thing to do, but what if you start working there and figure out you don't like it? Or you might be real happy and forget about even thinking about animation user added image

Now, to make it harder user added image How long is long term? Can you afford to go to school a couple more years? If money is no issue, go to school, find out which career suits you best and pick then. Or, take the job, learn animation with tutorials, training DVD's, books, on you're spare time, though it's hard when you work all day.

Another sad truth is a lot of people that go and get a degree in film/animation don't get jobs right away, if at all. There's no guarntee you'll get a job right away.

now, you ask, what I would do in this situation...

I would go for animation, since that's what I want to do.
If you like both, take the job, use the money you were going to use for school and buy all the equipment needed to learn on your own. And don't forget to buy points here at simplymaya.com to learn maya user added image

I don't think I helped much did I ? user added image
George

God Bless you and 3D
# 5 31-01-2003 , 10:09 PM
YOu can allways do what I did, when i was in your shoes, about 2 yrs ago. I took the engineering job. after about 3 mo, I started to take a few corses in Computer animation at St. Louis Community College... a couple of months after that, I convinced the company (after a ton of preliminary animations and examples, witch I didn't get paid for) to go ahead and Give me a position to do animation for their sales and construction departments. So, here I am now, with basically my own department doing computer animation. I know its not the funnest, animating how thier product is constructed, but its still animation and I get to use Maya, almost 14 hrs a day between work and when I get home. Its great. Plus, if you can pull that off, It looks good on your resume. Just my 2 cents,since I was in the same situation as you. Thanks,
Brian

BTW Another thing to consider, having this job really helped me to pay to pay for school, now I don't have any debt and I am just about finnished.

Its a hard decision, All I can say is good luck, Either way would be a good road, and like what was said B4, you can allways do animation outside of work. (Like me) user added image

Please check
My (old) website!
# 6 31-01-2003 , 10:24 PM
You won't lock yourself out of animation in the future by taking an engineering job now. I worked in such work for a few years prior to getting my first job at Disney, and the technical skills helped a great deal once I found myself at sea in an ocean of artists... user added image

-- Mark

Mark R. Wilkins
author of MEL Scripting for Maya Animators
www.melscripting.com
# 7 01-02-2003 , 12:02 AM
Thanks everyone for reading my thoughts.

After talking to close friends and family, I think I'm going to take the position. Also, the company said they would help pay for my education.user added image

This way, I will experience the enviroment and see if its what I want. Also, it doesn't hurt to have a Bachelors Degree under my belt. Or atleast started.

I'm young, I have plenty of time to choose my course and I can start animation later. Even if it doesn't work out right, I can always back to work for United Parcel Service. user added image

Maybe with the extra cash, I can buy a new and better computer to work on animation in my spare time.

Thanks everyone. You guys gave me some good informative input. You're good people. I'm glad I found this site. Not only do you take time to help me with MAYA, but you're also willing to read and respond to my problems.user added image

user added image CHEERS

- Matt
# 8 04-02-2003 , 01:50 AM
Subscriber
Hey matt, im a bit late on this post but all i wanted to say is good choice going with the job user added image. I know that schooling is good and all and you could learn a lot by being tought by another.. but learning out of books, here on simplymaya and other sources is definately the way to go. I do have more time them most people but if you can find time to work on maya in your home then you are set! You can learn so much without a teacher if you put your mind to it.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 9 04-02-2003 , 08:29 PM
SM Alumni
Another satisfied customeruser added image

Good luck with it.

gimme everything u got
# 10 04-02-2003 , 08:58 PM
I called the company back and told them my decision to take the job. Now, I just have to wait to hear back fom them.

They had a few other applicants.

Hopefully I will prevail. user added image

- Matt
# 11 05-02-2003 , 06:06 AM
Huh???

You said the company had offered you the job! Either that means that you're their choice, or they're stringing you along.

Any company that makes you an offer and then says "oh, we're still trying to decide between you and other candidates" is NOT A PLACE THAT YOU WANT TO WORK!!!

I hope I've misunderstood what's happened. If they have NOT offered you the job, you do NOT want to tell them in advance that you will definitely take it, BTW, because the offer will not be as attractive.

-- Mark

Mark R. Wilkins
author of MEL Scripting for Maya Animators
www.melscripting.com