Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 46 26-02-2011 , 11:40 AM
Subscriber
i think a good challenge would be to take a character from an old 3D game that has a really low polygon count and remake it.
like how the FF7 characters went from being people with cubes for hands to super detailed people

or how bout, take an old toy and remake it so it can do the things you see it does on the box, like the old transformer toys or my little pony, so they'd be fit to be in something like Toy Story

or if a cartoon character were to appear in real life what would they look like?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D

Last edited by Chirone; 26-02-2011 at 11:52 AM.
# 47 26-02-2011 , 08:51 PM
Subscriber

i think a good challenge would be to take a character from an old 3D game that has a really low polygon count and remake it.
like how the FF7 characters went from being people with cubes for hands to super detailed people

I have heard this idea before and I liked it then and I like it now, but alot of the old games are being remade now so its getting harder to pick some - maybe do the classic twist of a sex change - take an game character and update and change the sex of her/him/it. Even robots could be changed some high teck to old teck/steam punk.

But I`m still wanting the next one to be an environment one - but there is nothing stopping that from being an old game set being updated - a little bit like the remake of the monkey island games or resident evil on the game cube (now that was an overhaul).

# 48 26-02-2011 , 09:00 PM
Unser Joker
I really like your idea of changing the sex of a charcter.
A fmale Kratos or a female master chief would be cool - I think if there won't be a challenge like this, this will be one of my next projects :-D
---Peace---

Mein Blog : https://eyegrafix.blogspot.com/
# 49 27-02-2011 , 04:45 AM
Subscriber
but there is a female kratos, her name is Nariko from Heavenly Sword :p

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 50 27-02-2011 , 12:38 PM
Head of 3d Admedia

but there is a female kratos, her name is Nariko from Heavenly Sword :p

HAHAHAHa I didnt see that one coming never played that game though .....

# 51 27-02-2011 , 02:39 PM
Unser Joker
Sorry, I've never played the game - it was just an idea :-D
---Peace---

Mein Blog : https://eyegrafix.blogspot.com/
# 52 27-02-2011 , 03:29 PM
Subscriber
don`t worry - he`s only joking - she`s not really

# 53 27-02-2011 , 04:10 PM
The Nurb Herd
there haven't ben any dynamics challenges... at least not for a couple of years. or how about rigging and animation. (not that i would join in that one.)

# 54 27-02-2011 , 04:41 PM
Subscriber
how about modelling your favaourite sports person? or mma fighter?

# 55 27-02-2011 , 04:53 PM
Subscriber
rules out non sport fans like me - but a caricature of famous people has been talked about before.

there haven't ben any dynamics challenges... at least not for a couple of years. or how about rigging and animation. (not that i would join in that one.)

Rigging very hard to judge and not many know dynamics (me included) - animation should be on the cards but I think a rig would have to be offered.

Last edited by tweetytunes; 27-02-2011 at 05:00 PM.
# 56 27-02-2011 , 05:15 PM
Head of 3d Admedia

Rigging very hard to judge and not many know dynamics (me included) - animation should be on the cards but I think a rig would have to be offered.

i think something small like a walk cycle to get it started

# 57 27-02-2011 , 05:38 PM
The Nurb Herd

how is rigging and animation hard to judge? rigging alone perhaps, but you can have crap rigs and good rigs, and more complicated rigs with good skinning just like you can have crap models and such. All you need to do is make a playblast of an animation showing all the things the rig can do.

and how come you don't want to learn dynamics? well at least it sounds like you don't. A dynamics challenge would be exactly that... a challenge. Modeling and texturing is not the be all and end all of maya and this forum. How about some more diversity. sure modeling and texturing are the areas where every beginner will start, but I know there are lots of people on here that would be keen to do dynamics.
I think for someone like yourself (looking for work in the industry) you should be working on many areas of 3D and 2D. A lot of large places will outsource modeling to india/china so having more strings to your bow is pretty advantageous.

# 58 27-02-2011 , 06:07 PM
19 year Veteran
Animation challenges have hardy had any participation. I think 2 or 3 people entered if I remember correctly, so animation challenges are not a good idea IMO, at least not here.

Gamers challenges are like a dime a dozen now. There's nothing really unique about them anymore.

I still think we need an environmental challenge. They're not too hard to do, and the only real limitations are your imagination.

# 59 27-02-2011 , 09:22 PM
Subscriber

how is rigging and animation hard to judge? rigging alone perhaps, but you can have crap rigs and good rigs, and more complicated rigs with good skinning just like you can have crap models and such. All you need to do is make a playblast of an animation showing all the things the rig can do.

I was only referring to the rigging as being hard

and how come you don't want to learn dynamics? well at least it sounds like you don't. A dynamics challenge would be exactly that... a challenge. .

Its not that I don`t want to learn - I just don`t know anything about them - and without knowing anything I would not really want to enter a challenge like that - and I bet a lot of other people would feel the same. Maybe the site will post a free Friday tut on some form of dynamics and then a challenge based on the techniques (making your work your own of course) but I know Mike always looked to get the numbers up in the challenge and tried something like this (I remember dames breaking or something). Jays free tut on putting an item into a photo was perfect timing for the last challenge and I bet it was on purpose, so we will have to see what the site does.

Saying that I have done a lot with fluids lately but nothing to show off just yet.

Animation challenges have hardy had any participation. I think 2 or 3 people entered if I remember correctly, so animation challenges are not a good idea IMO, at least not here.

Gamers challenges are like a dime a dozen now. There's nothing really unique about them anymore.

Again I think its because we were never given a rig to work off - always told to get or make our own - I not sure how many would give it a go - but I think I would. As for the game challenges - who cares what other sites are doing - we not had a low poly one here for ages.

Last edited by tweetytunes; 27-02-2011 at 09:25 PM.
# 60 28-02-2011 , 10:20 AM
I think that the next month challenge will be great to modelate and create some interesting game scene (only the scene, without any characters) like CS, call of duty etc. to improve our visual sense of creating something new and strange.
Thanks! user added image