Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 61 28-02-2011 , 11:08 AM
Lifetime Member
I will dodge the next challenge but I agree with Tweety....soemthing like a chair....or maybe whatever you want...one model...or centre piece/focus...minimal props. I had an idea (ok maybe not so good) of a single chair in a room...wooden floor...one side had a rocking horse and the other had a walking stick..the chair itself was a rocking type. The floor on the left (and objects) were brightly coloured and painted..whilst the other side was flat and dusty...with weathered curtain blowing in the wind. The chair was half and half...it represents our youth and our maturity...but they are still connected via the chair...something like that anyways....

sorry for the rant

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 62 02-04-2011 , 12:58 PM
Subscriber
YouTube - Colin's Bear Animation

How about this for a 2 month challenge? Make and create your own tribute to the greatest 3D animation of all time... Something rather fun and silly with plenty of room for variety!

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 63 02-04-2011 , 01:16 PM
Lifetime Member
LOL thats a classic mate

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 64 02-04-2011 , 03:49 PM
Super Moderator
The environment challenge was tons of fun, the participation rate was great but a lot of people didn't finish or didn't get to finish. Someone mentioned longer challenges, I don't remember if it was in this thread or another. If the challenges went from one month to say two would that be better or would the "hey I lost interest" risk be higher?

- Genny
# 65 02-04-2011 , 03:59 PM
Subscriber
1 month some find too short - 2 months some find too long and lose interest - I was always a fan of the two months and was worried about the one month limit but I think its working quite nicely - only thing I would say more notice that deadline is coming is needed.

# 66 02-04-2011 , 04:28 PM
Lifetime Member
I think it depends on the skill level and how intense/complicated the challenge is Gen...I think 1 month is enough if it isnt overly complicated....is there a way to put it in the calendar as an event with an 'alarm' so to speak tweety?? For me personally I didnt have TOO much trouble in the speed challenge..I didnt do this month because of other commitments...and I felt out of my depth...I think you guys did very well to tell the truth.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 67 02-04-2011 , 05:04 PM
Super Moderator
The deadline heads up would be nice indeed. The challenges could use some homepage promo since this lounge doesn't seem to get that much traffic. It could bring some new meat..uh I mean new active members user added image to the site and who knows they might also participate in the challenges.

- Genny
# 68 02-04-2011 , 05:14 PM
Subscriber
They have been posting the challenges on facebook and stuff - which has been cool - but I think a lot of people just forgot about the deadline this time around.

I have no idea how the forum works bullet so no idea if an alarm could be setup or not - but PM to the wip threads would do I think

# 69 02-04-2011 , 05:45 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Serious, you need a heads up for the deadline??

I know we call them a monthly challenge but this is SM not CGsociety etc where the iron fist rules on the challenges. I would trust you all to be self reliant and do your own time keeping and do the stuff required within a month, give or take a day or so.

I just wanna keep it easy going without any stress.

cheers
Jay

# 70 02-04-2011 , 06:25 PM
EduSciVis-er
Jay, I know it's supposed to be quite informal and all, which is great, but I agree that a couple friendly reminders (one week left guys! and then two days left!) wouldn't be a bad thing in the challenge thread. You don't have to do it yourself either, I guess anyone could post a reminder as things come to a close.
Also I think it would beneficial to start the final images thread 3 or 4 days prior to the end of the month, also as a reminder, and so people have a window of a few days to get their stuff posted if they happen to be super busy on the last day and just let it slip.
You're doing great hosting these challenges... definitely in favor of the 1 month length; it keeps it fresh and moving, and there's enough time if people budget accordingly.

Just my thoughts.

# 71 02-04-2011 , 08:11 PM
Administrator
I think the one month time limit works fine, as said before if there's many people who are working on something when the deadline's up we can just add two weeks extra. There's also no reason why you can't continue on a project when the challenge's over, the whole idea is to get started on something you might not do otherwise.

If someone would rather have their thread moved over to WIP than previous challenges just give me or Jay a shout. In real life you have to work to deadlines and sometimes you might have to hand over work you're not 100 percent pleased with and let's face it there's almost always room for improvement on anything.

For friendly reminders we can all remind each other by commenting on people's work, this also bumps challenge threads up on the front page and into new posts. There's simply no space on the front page without making it look like a cluster f***, unless we take away WIP threads or resources which is more important for the site. We can however add a challenge sticky to the basics lounge (which is still getting all the traffic at the expense of other lounges user added image) to bring some more attention to this one.

Nilla

# 72 02-04-2011 , 10:23 PM
Subscriber
i'm still yet to see the front page... I always come here via email links

i think some kind of accurate time left thing could be a good thing, like there is 27 hours remaining. I myself always get confused with the different time zones (although that's not that hard to overcome). although I guess it's up to the competitors to sort themselves out. But commenting on peoples threads about the time is a good idea. still informal and if someone has totally left the world... i mean site... then they probably wont mind someone posting

the last challenge was cool, i quite liked it

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 73 02-04-2011 , 11:06 PM
The thin red line
This is my take on it, I would like to see 6 week challenges but I do understand that one month challenges do have a ring to it, I think that there are a lot of none finishers because the contestents know that there work was not up to the standard that they were seeing. This can not be helped..............dave

# 74 03-04-2011 , 04:01 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Yeah its a monthly challenge so one month deadline, and yep no probs if you really need a shout for a reminder of the deadline then we can do that for the future challenges.

Yeah I agree with the standard of work, but its all about improving anyway and never be shy or ashamed or what you do as your next challenge will hopefully be better than your last one.

.....and as the old saying goes, 'you gotta be in it to win it.'

cheers
Jay

# 75 23-04-2011 , 09:07 PM
Subscriber
New idea(s)

"Second Chance"

after seeing this

https://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64.aspx

Gave me a new idea ....

Redesign something that has been killed off - Store/Shop brand, technology (eg Sega games consoles) , vehicle, products, fashion or packaging campaign.

But it has to be something that was real but now been killed off.

still think we should have a Caricature challenge - would bring some really funny entries. - could be off ourselves or famous peeps. Well as long as it not Chef Gordon Ramsay.

But thinking a lighting and texturing challenge might also be welcome