Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 18-03-2005 , 02:26 AM

polys to subd problem!

Hi there....

Couple of steps to this question.... I'm completing the dog tutorial from this website and am trying to convert the polygons to subd's..... I fixed most of the model by merging vertices but am having a problem with the mouth area!

First image is a picture of the model when i first convert him to subd's.... obviously the vertices aren't merged so I go back and merge the vertices on the side!.....
When I try to convert to subd's this time it tells me to polygon>cleanup my geometry..... I do this and this seems to separate the polygons I originally merged away from the model! See next picture!!

How can I fix this.... the merging of vertices on the rest of the model worked fine!!

Help

L.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 18-03-2005 , 02:27 AM
After polygon>cleanup

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 19-03-2005 , 02:32 PM
Senior Software Developer
I had similar issues, i found that this was due to badly split Polys.

I actualy stage saved this tute and kept the Poly, Nurbs and SubDivs in seperate mb files. I have also found the Poly>Clean Up not to be so good and I normally just use it to highlight the issues, undo and try again.

My tip would be to go back to your Nurbs Model, covernt to poly and ensure that when your Combining that all your vertices match to the other your combining with. If not its time to plit out some polys.

I know the tute tells you to use Boolean>Intersection Operation, but this does make for quite an untidy join (imho). This does mean a lot of edge removals and vertices being joined, i prefer a Poly>Combine...

Here is my Finished one from the Tutorial:

Attached Thumbnails

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)