Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 20-01-2005 , 09:41 PM
Subscriber

Convert to polly > model dissappears?

2 questions-

I am modeling a poly car. From time to time I convert it to sub-d to see the progress. I have started facing 2 problems-

A- When I convert to sub-d the model dissapears :O
In the scrip editor I see this. It was working fine until this moment-

// File read in 2 seconds.
select -r polyToSubd38|polyToSubd1|polyToSubd1 ;
doSubdivCreate( "2", { "1","1","3000","32"} );
deleteInternalValence2Verts |polyToSubd38|polyToSubd1|polyToSubd1|subdTessShap e3;
polyToSubdiv -ap 0 -ch off -aut on -maxPolyCount 3000 -maxEdgesPerVert 32 |polyToSubd38|polyToSubd1|polyToSubd1|subdTessShap e3;
// Warning: Nothing is selected. Select objects or components to delete. //
// Warning: Node 'polyToSubdShape40.instObjGroups[0]': cannot make assignment to 'blinn5SG' shader. //
// Error: Connection not made: 'polyToSubdShape40.instObjGroups[0]' -> 'blinn5SG.dagSetMembers[-1]'. Source node will not allow the connection. //
// Warning: Node 'polyToSubdShape40.instObjGroups[0]': cannot make assignment to 'blinn5SG' shader. //
// Error: Connection not made: 'polyToSubdShape40.instObjGroups[0]' -> 'blinn5SG.dagSetMembers[-1]'. Source node will not allow the connection. //
// Result: polyToSubdShape40 //
delete |polyToSubd38|polyToSubd1|polyToSubd1|subdTessShap e3;
// Error: More than one object matches name //???
Can you explain what I need to do?

B) When I convert the model to sub D I have in the option box "keep original unchecked". So on converting to sub-d I have just the sub-d model left. > BUT if I undo by pressing Z I get back the poly object but with sub-d copy attached to it.
Then there is nothing I can do to delete the sub-d object even if I look for it in the outliner. It's as if they are both attached at the hip. This does not happen always but only sometimes. Any idea?

Thanks

grrrr

Last edited by slickrenderer; 20-01-2005 at 09:59 PM.
# 2 15-02-2005 , 07:42 AM

Re: Convert to polly > model dissappears?

Originally posted by slickrenderer
2 questions-

I am modeling a poly car. From time to time I convert it to sub-d to see the progress. I have started facing 2 problems-

A- When I convert to sub-d the model dissapears :O
In the scrip editor I see this. It was working fine until this moment-

// File read in 2 seconds.
select -r polyToSubd38|polyToSubd1|polyToSubd1 ;
doSubdivCreate( "2", { "1","1","3000","32"} );
deleteInternalValence2Verts |polyToSubd38|polyToSubd1|polyToSubd1|subdTessShap e3;
polyToSubdiv -ap 0 -ch off -aut on -maxPolyCount 3000 -maxEdgesPerVert 32 |polyToSubd38|polyToSubd1|polyToSubd1|subdTessShap e3;
// Warning: Nothing is selected. Select objects or components to delete. //
// Result: polyToSubdShape40 //
delete |polyToSubd38|polyToSubd1|polyToSubd1|subdTessShap e3;
// Error: More than one object matches name //???
Can you explain what I need to do?

B) When I convert the model to sub D I have in the option box "keep original unchecked". So on converting to sub-d I have just the sub-d model left. > BUT if I undo by pressing Z I get back the poly object but with sub-d copy attached to it.
Then there is nothing I can do to delete the sub-d object even if I look for it in the outliner. It's as if they are both attached at the hip. This does not happen always but only sometimes. Any idea?

Thanks

# 3 17-02-2005 , 06:07 AM
Have you checked your surface normals before you converted?

I hate doing that too, but it is an evil we cannot avoiduser added image

Usually works for me, lemme know if it helpeduser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com