Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 16 25-06-2007 , 11:44 PM
Nice modeling Jay! I love how you're adding an interior to it. Makes it seem even more flyable. Looks really cool so far.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 17 26-06-2007 , 12:28 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Thanks Perfecto

yeah I need to do two more parts as well, some cockpit intstruments and also the cargo bay/exit ramp, its needed for my online comic...

Cheers
Jay

# 18 26-06-2007 , 03:21 PM
Nice going Jay,

I'm liking the interior that your making for it, looking forward to seeing it completed, but I guess we'll have to wait to see it in the comic!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 19 01-07-2007 , 10:01 PM
Steve

Sorry for the late reply, Ive had my head up my butt last few days trying to sort pages for Outlaws out so things have been a little hectic here.

Many thanks for the kind words, I'll post this up as much as I can before it hits the comic itself. I like to share my stuff as much as possible when it comes down to it. I dont like taking it for granted that Im doing it right , and thats where the forum always comes to the rescue!

I post up some more later as my weekly quota is coming to a close and I'll have a few hours spare this afternoon to do some more. Ive also downloaded a ton of cargo bay references from google for another part of the ship, which will have a bit of a clever comedy moment in - believe it or not!

Before I sign off, does anyone know of a shader that could possible be used for a spacecraft entering a planets atmosphere, or if anyone has an idea combining a shader with using particles, I'd love to hear it. Hope it makes sense

Cheers
Jay

# 20 02-07-2007 , 12:25 AM
Thinking offf the top of my head.

You could use the cloud particles with a ramp to control the colour over the lifetime, emmiting the particles from a surface (maybe hidden from the render so you have more control) then as they fall off they change colour, you could then couple the rate of emmision to the colour values of a shader via a set driven key, so say when its a really bright red theres a high rate of emmision giving more vapour/smoke/fire (or whatever it is lol! that comes off spacecraft) and as the hull "cools" less particles are emmitted, you could also link the lifetime colour ramp to the shader so the colour of the stuff coming off changes too with the intensity of the hulls heat.

Think it would work pretty well, in theory, but then again you might loose some control over the look??

ohh edit - You could make the particles collide with either the hull or the actual object emmitting them, and possibly add a few mulit streek's in there too to have some sparks?????

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by gster123; 02-07-2007 at 12:27 AM.
# 21 02-07-2007 , 04:45 AM
Cheers Steve I'll look into it, Im overly keen on doing too much animating for it though, maybe just a high ambient shader with incandecence and glow might be a good way and then comp the rest in PS. I'll see...

Have an update

Jay
user added image

# 22 02-07-2007 , 04:49 AM
Yeah true mate.

You could wack a airfield to get them moving, but then again it might be a lot of messing about.

That looks sweet mate!

# 23 02-07-2007 , 05:45 AM
Subscriber
Haha yeah gotta agree with vlad, looks very clean ... nice job with both inside&outside interior ...

IMO im not sure about the chair ... donno theres something about it which i dont like, but yeah thats my opinion. Also will there be any windows?

Marlon J

# 24 02-07-2007 , 07:29 AM
Thanks Steve

Marlon John: thanks, Im not overly happy with the chair either, I may have another look tomorrow, 'vamp' it a bit more. No windows here in this section (think Millennium Falcon main hold from Star Wars) Only windows will be in the cockpit

Cheers guys
Jay

# 25 02-07-2007 , 10:30 PM
Subscriber
how did you render that last one jay.., maya software?? can I ask what settings? if its too big, no problem user added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 26 02-07-2007 , 10:45 PM
Hey Jay just thinking about your shader, you might be able to get away with having a simple shader, say a blin with multiple ramps for glow incandesance, colour etc controled via a facing ratio node (Like you would set up for glass)

# 27 02-07-2007 , 11:24 PM
mirek: dude its not a render, its a screengrab/ printscreen then paste into a PS doc.

Steve: Yeah, thanks, thats probably better actually, facing racio is a good little node to play with actually, I use it mostly for velvet surfaces.

Cheers guys (for now)

Jay

# 28 03-07-2007 , 02:12 PM
I think this would pwn the falcon. Maybe you could use the chairs from the falcon though.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 29 10-07-2007 , 02:32 PM
Hey Guys

Have an Update. This is the cargo/exit area. Still a fair bit to do, as I would like to get in an overhanging cargo net with stuff in to fill the top part of the bay out. Theres an sdk on the ramp, despite not using it for animation it just helps speed up the whole scene shooting process.

have redesigned the chair as mentioned previously and am in the process of sorting out.

Cheers for now

Jay

user added image

# 30 11-07-2007 , 02:01 PM
cool! this is coming along nice - i especially like the interior shots.

I kind of like the first shot where it only has one wing - is it going to have one on the other side? I kind of like the lack of symmetry...