Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 27-07-2014 , 08:56 AM

Editing Manipulator

Hi eveyrone,

I am an Alias Autodesk user who needs to learn modeling in Maya.

I find the use of manipulator not efficient and old fashion. I would like to use the same method Alias uses to move geometries in the space:

-Select an object
-activate the move tool
-pressing the LeftMouseButton and dragging the object will move on the X axes
-pressing the CenterMouseButton and dragging the object will move on the Y axes
-pressing the RightMouseButton and dragging the object will move on the X axes

to use the view axes another move tool parallel to viewing is activated and the three mouse button will move to the different axes acordingly. The same for the move normal to surface tool

then you can select something else still in the move tool without worrying to select those damnuser added image arrows which can also be tricky for the viewing (as an arrow is difficult to select because of obj behind it or another arrow itslef)
With the Alias method you just select your obj to quickly modify it

So my question is:

Can I script a behave similar to the one above? or is not possible to ma ke scripts that changes the interface behave?

Thanks a lot for any help,user added image

Sylvester

Last edited by sylvester3; 27-07-2014 at 09:01 AM.
# 2 02-08-2014 , 03:14 AM
So in simpler word... can I in maya creat a script that when lunched changes the behaviour of what the three Mouse Button do?

so that clicking the LMB I will move the selected objects on the X axes...
...cliccking the CMB I will move on the Y axes ...and so on?

Thanks Sergio