Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 20-10-2003 , 02:49 AM

My webcomic

Be informed:
<- my title still stands.

I made this out of the pure "I thought of something funny I'd like to tell people" feeling. Basically... well ya I guess that's it.

Webcomics always start out poorly drawn, but I'm going to try really hard to update it at least once a week with better art and maybe color later. Who knows, maybe I'll draw BACKGROUNDS! lol.

Anyway, I thought you guys might want to see it. I'm really much funnier than this first comic lets on, but it's hard to say anything funny without the characters first introduced, along with a "Hello, welcome to the comic" so... I feel I did quite well achieving those two along with a little bit of humor.

(the first comic "and don't you forget it" was actually a placeholder for the second one, but I added instead of edited, and since I didn't want to delete and throw the auto_increment-ing ids, I just left it there. The next comic I do will push the first one back and get rid of that placeholder.

Sayonara!
~Ninkazu
# 2 20-10-2003 , 04:08 AM
link... something... *confused* user added image

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 3 20-10-2003 , 11:26 AM

Sayonara!
~Ninkazu
# 4 20-10-2003 , 03:03 PM
Subscriber
Interesting.... very interesting... Show more..

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 5 20-10-2003 , 04:06 PM
Oo

sorry but it isnt really funny

# 6 20-10-2003 , 08:57 PM
I know it's not that funny now... I only had two frames technically to make it funny, which isn't enough.

The upcoming will be funnier, I promise.

Sayonara!
~Ninkazu
# 7 22-10-2003 , 06:56 PM
when will the next one be out?

...and that is how I saved the world.
# 8 22-10-2003 , 08:54 PM
I'm trying to update it every Saturday, and once my technique improves, maybe twice a week. Who knows, it may become daily if I kill myself, user added image

Sayonara!
~Ninkazu
# 9 22-10-2003 , 09:43 PM
Subscriber
I liked it, update us when the next one is out.

# 10 22-10-2003 , 10:50 PM
Thanks. I started experimenting with color today, but I still don't know how the more professional comics make theirs look so clean.

user added image

Sayonara!
~Ninkazu
# 11 23-10-2003 , 12:17 AM

Originally posted by Ninkazu
Thanks. I started experimenting with color today, but I still don't know how the more professional comics make theirs look so clean.

You could start by using straighter lines. j/k :p

Actually Ninkazu, it isn't all that bad. I've seen worse being 'professionally' syndicated! Your style is simple and basically to the point. Obviously, the mood you're trying for is humor, so you don't need all that stylistic rendering, the likes of Joe Madueria or McFarlane. However, if you're looking to get that style, work in layers from the outline and then fill in with solids (like what u have in that pic). Then, instead of colors, use the dodge and burn tools to paint with 'light'. Those tools give you variations of the main colors you are useing instead of you having to try and colormatch the tones and subtleties that lighting gives you.

A good method of proactice would be to find a comic site with both the inked drawings and their colored versions. Then try to duplicate what you see in the colored panel using the outlined panel. user added image

user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 12 23-10-2003 , 01:20 AM
Try using vector art to draw... it is cleaner...

# 13 23-10-2003 , 01:55 AM
in photoshop try putting the images onto one layer, and creating a blank layer on top, then trace around the edges with a size 3 brush (it's a bit big, but in comedy you NEED big edges user added image)
then fill the colours in to get the edges, and then sorta play around with sizes, when i did it the jeans and stuff got a big bigger so i resized the feet. then add a filter to it, i did a Filter/Texture/Grain and set it to 40, 50 and grain type soft. (This adds a bit of style to it which looks nice user added image). Then it came out like this. the drawings still need a bit of work to get them looking really good, but i see instant improvements user added image

Attached Images
# 14 23-10-2003 , 02:40 AM
Using what Zyk0tiK said. Instead of using the same size brush for all the lines, you could use smaller brushes for details and larger brushes for contour lines.

# 15 25-10-2003 , 03:40 PM
Okie doke, I have today's comic up! WHEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeee

Sayonara!
~Ninkazu