Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 14-12-2006 , 03:06 AM
# 2 14-12-2006 , 03:31 AM
Senior Software Developer
I just popped my 2 pence on the BBC site...

Really, when will the protest groups stop protesting against the entertainment industry (esp to the games industry)

The story talks about the game and how its all about mass exodus by all the believers to heaven, leaving all the Heretics (that's you and me BTW), to be slaughtered by the believers who are left. Really I think the message underlying the game is if you are not Catholic or similar, then you are not worthy of living. It is also mentioned how Churches in the US are "advertising" the game technically if this is true then it is 110% morally wrong to do so. If the tables were turned and it was the Devils minions attacking all religious sects and faiths there would be massive outcry.

Really I don't know how to react to this. I am not really a religious person, in the mainstream sense of the word. But I do have my faith/belief, that the majority of mainstream religions would call either heresy or paganism.

But all in all, its a game (an RTS BTW). It's meant to entertain and to be enjoyed. I say, anything that is likely to offend, slap an 18 Certificate on it, (R Rating for our US/Canadian Cousins) Ala the GTA series, and market it at Adults and not teenagers, the majority of which are still very religiously naive (IMHO), or could not care less. Its the US "Bible Belt" I am worried about.

This post is not meant to offend, it is my opinion only. If it did offend please accept my apologies. I love you all... :attn:

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 3 14-12-2006 , 06:10 AM
I don't really have a problem with either game. While I certainly wouldn't be interested in playing either (oh ok, the bush one sounds kind of fun), I don't think that they should be suppressed. I personally find the Left Behind series pretty suspect and morally dubious, but I wouldn't want to stop people from reading them, or playing the video game. At the end of the day, controversial media provokes discussion and that is always a good thing because it helps us decide where we stand.

I find it interesting that every year there are plenty of games and movies that glorify killing the 'other', whether it be killing Arabs or Germans or some other 'enemy', yet no one bats an eyelid, but when it's a game such as this, suddenly everyone is up in arms.

As you said R@nSiD, as long as it's properly rated, what's the problem?

Last edited by arran; 14-12-2006 at 06:30 AM.
# 4 14-12-2006 , 08:11 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by R@nSiD
Its the US "Bible Belt" I am worried about.

T

OMG you dont know how true that is. I live in the bible belt; South Carolina to be exact... and trust me, most of the people don't believe the way the old people who argue this stuff do.

So anyways, once again, leave it to the parents to decide.

# 5 14-12-2006 , 01:56 PM
For some reason I cannot restrain myself about thinking about the game in the Simpsons that Bart plays at the Flander's house where you have to zap people so they can all go to heaven...

Anyways, I believe that games should be for entertainment, not to push a certain agenda. Also there is a difference between a game such as say Age of Empires where you must fight other civilisations becuase Age is based on historical fact, they are simply recreating what really happend. Here, they are not recreating anything, or presenting an alternal viewpoint such as in alternative sci fi (which would be artistic) but simply promoting a certain agenda.

If I've somehow managed to offend anyone, I apologise, its not meant to.