Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 10-08-2003 , 09:25 PM

making streaks behind moving objects

say i wanted to animate a sphere and as it moved a blue streak would appear behind it in the path that it travelled. but would only appear when the sphere moves and would dissappear at a rate i could set.. how would i go about doing something like that?

im trying out
particles -> emit from object

but i cant get the particles to show up in a render, am i doing this correctly or should igo about this some other way?

some screens:

https://free.hostrocket.com/~pakihos/01.gif
https://free.hostrocket.com/~pakihos/02.gif

# 2 11-08-2003 , 02:44 PM
Not sure if you had a chance to take a look at it, but in my Dynamic Explosions VIP vids, I talk about a way to do this using Paint Effects.

Very Simply,
1. you draw a path curve on the path that you want this to happen.
NOTE, start your path at the point that you want the effect to begin, otherwise, you will have to do it overuser added image

2. Then, all you have to do is create a Brush with your desired "trail" settings. (i.e. look, color, etc.)
NOTE: there are MANY default brushes to choose from that you can alter to suit most shotsuser added image (such as, blue paint, tire treads, fire, smoke, etc. ...even water & water falls)

3. Then, select your curve, THEN select your brush, and in the PaintEffects menu at the top (in the Rendering menu set),
choose:
PAINT EFFECTS > CURVE UTILITIES > ATTACH BRUSH TO CURVE.

and whala!!

The curve will take on the length and shape of your curve without having to paint in the viewport at alluser added image

Now, to animate the "Painting" or effect, all you do is key the "MIN and MAX CLIP attributes in your stroke to animate the "effect" from one end of the curve, to the otheruser added image

Good luck!

PS, in my tut, this is one way that I show how to do missle trailsuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 11-08-2003 , 07:47 PM
wow that worked out quite nicely, the neon paintbrush was just wat i needed too =)

only thing is you lost me on the animation part, im pretty new to maya and dind't understand what you meant by "key the MIN and MAX CLIP attributes in your stroke to animate the.."
i mean i can do like a basic animation of a sphere moving across a plane using key frames, but ya lost me.. do you think you could explain that a bit more pleaSE?

# 4 11-08-2003 , 09:10 PM
Sureuser added image

Assuming you were able to create your basic path curve, and attach your PFX brush to it, in order to make it look like it is being "drawn" or animated from one end to the other:

1. Select your brush on the Outliner or hypergraph.
(whichever you use. I use the outliner because I'm more comfortable with it)

2. Now, to see the attributes of any selected object, there are 2 methods you can use: the "channel box" or the "Attribute Editor".

-The Channel Box appears in the Maya window only if you choose to display it. It appears to the right of the workspace.
NOTE: You can display either the Channel Box or the Attribute Editor in the main Maya window, but not both at the same time.
If it is not there, go to:
Display > UI Elements > Channel Box/Layer Editoruser added image

-To display the Attribute editor window, simply select your object and on your keyboard, hit: CTRL+A user added image

3. Once you have accessed the attributes of your selected brush, look for the MIN and MAX CLIP attributes.

4. Now you can key these attributes just like any other object.

- Render a test frame to see what the full brush looks like, then:

- change one of the clip values, then render another frame to see how these new attribute values make the brush stroke look as if it is getting shorter, or longer. (depending on which attribute you chose to play with)
One value controls clip from one end, while the other value controls clip from the other enduser added image

- to key an attribute, simply place your mouse pointer over the value box, then right-click and choose KEY SELECTED.

- then go to another frame in your frame range, and change the value(s) to whatever you need, and key it again.

- rewind the timeline and watch as the brush stroke gets longer or shorter over time, depending on how you messed with the valuesuser added image

Good luck!

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 5 12-08-2003 , 12:14 AM
hmm i did that and all and when i view the animation it does look like something is moving, but the entire curve is still visible throughout the entire thing. ive attached the file, do you think you could take a look? you dont have to fix it and send it back or anything, maybe just point out wat im doing wrong?

Attached Files
File Type: mb streaktest.mb (48.0 KB, 158 views)
# 6 12-08-2003 , 12:18 AM
Getting Maya re-installed on my box tonight, so it might take a day or two.

Cool?

I WILL get to it howeveruser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 7 12-08-2003 , 01:06 AM
thanks a lot rage =)

# 8 12-08-2003 , 01:07 AM
No problem, and sorry fo the delayuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 9 20-08-2003 , 07:30 AM
hey i got it.. i think

my timing is a bit off on the streaks so it doesnt look that good yet
and i didnt start the max clip at 0 (you'll see what i mean)

ive attached the file if anyone wants to take a look (sorry i made the resolution so big.. im just a nut, but the overall file size is small because the video is like 50frames long)

if anyone wants to give me suggestions or anything, it would be much appreciated

Attached Files
File Type: rar test.rar (106.3 KB, 173 views)