Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 27-02-2008 , 03:59 AM
Jr.Who

The secret project

It's a Maya FAQ tut. It's pretty much geared towards beginners of Maya that know how to get around, but run into problems. This is a beta release of the video, just to see what people think. This is only for the eyes of the SM members (you lucky guys user added image ).

Here's what's covered in this video:
•Manipulator tool size (+/-)
•Merge verts (combine objects)
•7.0-8.0 menu set differences
•Turning on Plug-ins
•Shelf customization

And this is what I'm planning to add to the final video:
•Setting up prefs
•Interface pic
•Booleans disappear

I could go on about all the things that I messed up, but let's just say that my throat was a little dry. user added image I did screw up a lot (hence the beta), but I'd love to know if there's anything that you guys think I should add.

What do you guys think about the quality of the video? Personally, I think it's very bad, and I'm going to try to fix it.

You can download it here.

-Jr.Who
user added image

# 2 27-02-2008 , 05:37 AM
Lifetime Member
ok one thing you might want to mention is regarding the plugin loading, in the PC version of Maya all the plugins have a .mll extension so the mental ray plugin is actually called Mayatomr.mll.You just know that new users are going to say I don't have .bundle user added image

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 3 27-02-2008 , 09:52 AM
Jr.Who
Thanks a lot John, I'll write that down.

# 4 02-03-2008 , 12:02 AM
Jr.Who
Hmm… this quality thing is killing me. I guess I'll have to delay doing the tuts until I find out what's going on.

No more crit? Nothing that should be added? user added image

# 5 02-03-2008 , 12:21 AM
I've not had a look Tbh, but I will tomorrow.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 02-03-2008 , 02:28 PM
I thought it was ok, the quality isnt that bad to be honest, not for a free video, you could see everything that you were doing, so I wouldnt be that bothered about it.

Couple of things that I would possibly add, if your not going to already.

Interactive creation, what it is and how to go about switching it off if the user wants.

Preferences, for animation - fps, and play every frame for dynamic sim's (and why you need it), also how to toggle between play every frame free or max realtime.

Again preferences but modeling - Selecting poly faces by just selecting the face rarther than the center of the face, also adjusting border edge thickness.

also the differing ways you can select verts edges etc using the arrow keys to do loops and such, as well as paint selection and backface culling.

On the vid, I would say that going in and switching on all the plug ins is a bit unnecessary, maybe if you want to keep it in there but theres no real need for it and it slows up boot up time on slower comps, and can load up a few things that you'll probably not use.

Hope its some help

Cheers

Steve

# 7 02-03-2008 , 08:41 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by gster123
Interactive creation, what it is and how to go about switching it off if the user wants.

Preferences, for animation - fps, and play every frame for dynamic sim's (and why you need it), also how to toggle between play every frame free or max realtime.

Again preferences but modeling - Selecting poly faces by just selecting the face rarther than the center of the face, also adjusting border edge thickness.

also the differing ways you can select verts edges etc using the arrow keys to do loops and such, as well as paint selection and backface culling.

On the vid, I would say that going in and switching on all the plug ins is a bit unnecessary, maybe if you want to keep it in there but theres no real need for it and it slows up boot up time on slower comps, and can load up a few things that you'll probably not use.

Hope its some help

Cheers

Steve

I'll definitely put in the Interactive Creation, and most of that stuff for the preferences. I have a couple of questions on some of the things though. I can't seem to find the play every frame for dynamic sim's and how to toggle between play every frame free or max realtime.

The more that I think about it, I think that a separate video for setting up the prefs might be necessary, since there's so many things to tweak in there. How does that sound?

Yeah, I guess turning all of the plug-ins on is unnecessary, I just prefer to have them checked on just incase. user added image

I've also started writing up some stuff for another tut for more experienced users, but I need to get the FAQ out first before I start working more on the new one.

Thanks a lot for the help, Steve.

# 8 03-03-2008 , 10:17 AM
Play every frames in the animation pref's, you need it to this as dynamic sims (cloth, rigids, particles etc) are finite and need to know ehat the previous state was before evaluating the next frame.

To change between max realtime and free, right click over your time line, it should be there.

As for another vid, well I suppose it all depends on how long you want each vid to be.

I keep thinking of doing a vid tut, what capture software do you use?

# 9 03-03-2008 , 03:27 PM
Jr.Who

As for another vid, well I suppose it all depends on how long you want each vid to be.

I keep thinking of doing a vid tut, what capture software do you use?

Oh, I don't really care that much about how big they are. 5-15 minutes sounds good to me.

I'm using iShowU for the recording and iMovie for the editing and compressing.

# 10 04-03-2008 , 06:50 PM
Ahh right, Think that i'll probably use camtasia as I think that uni's got a copy.

Did you find what you asked for to di with the time line?

# 11 04-03-2008 , 06:57 PM
Jr.Who

Ahh right, Think that i'll probably use camtasia as I think that uni's got a copy.

Did you find what you asked for to di with the time line?

Camtasia, yeah, I've heard of that. How is it?

Yeah, there's 3 options in there. What's the difference between them? I have Real-time checked on now.