Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 21-04-2008 , 02:46 PM
Subscriber

next gen characters - triangles

Hey guys

Just done a tutorial on next gen game characters, was a good tutorial but the number of triangles that was in the geomtry was massive. Is this not an issue anymore with next gen games? Done the SM game character tutorial and it said try and keep your number of triangles down.

can anyone help?

cheers

# 2 21-04-2008 , 02:51 PM
I dont think it makes that much of a difference as the models are triangulated anyway. Per sonally I would always try to keep it as quads.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 21-04-2008 , 02:59 PM
The Maya Mountain
it depends on the game engine and the platform. Some games have characters that are 10,000+ polys, others are much lower. The next-gen consoles can push a certain number of polys per frame (depending on whatever other processes are also being computed at render time) so it just depends on what the game requires. If it's like a fighting game, with just 2 characters on the screen at once, they can be really high. If it's a squad based action game with maybe a dozen on screen at once, they'll be lower. if it's a Real time strategy game, with hundreds of units on screen at once, they'll be lower. So it all just depends on what you're doing.

# 4 21-04-2008 , 03:05 PM
Subscriber
hey thanx for you replies,

mtmckinley, I kinda meant there was alot of 3 sided faces and not quads in this model. I know they get triangulated anyway but ive been told that you should have as little 3 sided faces as pos (obvisouly there will be some).

Thanx

# 5 21-04-2008 , 05:08 PM
The Maya Mountain
oh I see

the only real reason to work with quads is it is a lot easier to work with. no real other reason to be honest when it comes to game work