Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 19-12-2002 , 04:17 PM

Mouse problem on Intel version

I am having a strange problem that maybe someone here can help me with. I just started working on Maya 4.5 on the Intel platform and the mouse doesn't seem to work the same way that it does on the SGI machines. It says in the books, help file and tutorials that I am supposed to be able to hold down the Alt key with one of the mouse buttons to change the different camera views, however it doesn't work. I wind up having to switch to the General shelf and manually selecting the camera manipulation tool that I want to use, which causes a problem when I am in the middle of a complex vertex edit and I have to deselect my current tool just to move my camera.

Has anyone else had this problem in the Intel version of Maya 4.5?

------
AlphaJoe
# 2 19-12-2002 , 07:56 PM
Subscriber
AlphaJoe

I will look into this later tonight as I am at work. Unless you get your answer
user added image

Never Do Today What You Can Put Off Till Tomorrow..
My New Site MayaFx.com
# 3 20-12-2002 , 02:47 AM
Subscriber
I am not sure what you mean?
If you hold the (ALT+LMB) you tumble
(ALT + MMB) you track the camera
(ALT+RMB) you zoom or dolly

Mine works fine. Is this what you mean?user added image

My New Site MayaFx.com
# 4 20-12-2002 , 05:18 AM

Exactly

Originally posted by 3djoe
I am not sure what you mean?
If you hold the (ALT+LMB) you tumble
(ALT + MMB) you track the camera
(ALT+RMB) you zoom or dolly

Mine works fine. Is this what you mean?user added image

Yeah, that is my problem exactly. Alt and the mouse buttons don't do anything. Is there a configuration somewhere that I am missing where these options can be changed?

------
AlphaJoe
# 5 22-12-2002 , 04:43 PM
Here is another question. I don't have a three button mouse. Could Maya be seeing this and disabling all of the normal shortcuts related to the mouse?

------
AlphaJoe
# 6 22-12-2002 , 11:22 PM
Subscriber
That is a good question
Maya requires a three button mouse no and if or butsuser added image

My New Site MayaFx.com
# 7 22-12-2002 , 11:34 PM
anything to do with design on any platform I think requires a three button mouse.....or should require...lol.

It's just betteruser added image

# 8 05-03-2003 , 06:27 AM

Problem solved....more or less

I had pretty much given up on this issue, and continued to work without the capability of panning, rotating and zooming with the mouse-kb combo. but today, I installed a new HD in my system and installed my os from scratch. After doing so, and not installing any other software, I installed Maya and everything works great. I am thinking that somewhere along the line I installed something that interfered with the Maya mouse control on my old drive.

------
AlphaJoe
# 9 05-03-2003 , 06:56 AM
Subscriber
user added image, well im glad you figured it out.. just one thing though. I really think you should think about buying a 3 button mouse.. or at least a 2 button mouse, with a scroller.. which can be used in the same fashion. Ok, cya later.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 10 03-04-2003 , 10:34 PM
Well, I was running into a similar problem. The middle mouse button didn't work in combination with ALT. After some searching I found in windows config screen the middle mouse button was configured as "universal scroll". I just changed that to "middle mouse button" and then things started to work in Maya. ALT-MMB now works fine. i.e. camera tracking in views, drag-and-drop in hypershade and so on.