Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 07-09-2003 , 04:21 AM

How Do I Use A Volume Light?! :/

Okay, maybe this is a question for the newbie forum but I was wondering... how on earth do you use the volume light? Can it be used in clylindrical lighting; i.e. flourescent lighting? Thanks in advance. user added image

Russell

Russell Bolding
CEO/Founder - Russelltopia Studios
Web:https://www.russelltopia.com
Email:russbo@russelltopia.com
# 2 07-09-2003 , 06:58 AM
Under Light shape, select Cylinder.

Under COLOR RANGE, check ARC.

NOTE: This is in case you want your light to emit in a given directionuser added image
For example, if your flourecent light is close to the ceiling, and you don't want the whole effect of the light intensity to blow-out your ceiling color too much.
Just adjust your arc options to EXclude part of the ceiling, and rotate your cylinder light shape so that the arc dead part is aiming toward your ceiling, and the illuminating part is going everywhere else.

-Arc options:
Use this option to create a partial sphere, cone, or cylinder light shape by specifying a degree of rotation. Values can range from 0 to 360 degrees. The most common settings are 180 and 360, the default. 180 is similar to slicing the light volume in half and 360 is the full light. This option does not apply to the box light shape.

NOTE:
Shadowing does not work properly for directions other than Outward. It always shadows as if from a point light.

So keep that in mind when you think you might be able to place it "inside" the geometry of the bulb, because you might get funky shadows, and possibly run into problems.
Just place it "close or near" to the bulb first, then try other placements.

Hope this helps?

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 09-09-2003 , 04:29 AM
I tried that out last night and I ended up with caca. I was going to try and make a sort of "mask" or cover to place at the base of the trophies on my shelves and have a light coming from that area but it never worked. I'm trying to think of a good way to showcase the trophies without blaring out everything else around that area. I'll render out a shot for you later so you can see what it looks like right now as opposed to the crap I made yesterday. Ugh! LOL!

Russell

Russell Bolding
# 4 12-09-2003 , 09:01 PM
Okie dokie! I'm still pulling my hair out over this volume light thing. I've decided to not go with the flourescent light thing after all as I have no clue how to implement it into my scene. Plus, not sure I can pull it off.

I still want a subtle lighting thing going to show off the trophies in the scene and I've managed to put together these light fixtures above each trophy (lights coming from the fixtures in the shelves) but not sure what type of light would work best for each one. I've tried both volume AND spots on each one and I'm not even seeing ANY light coming from them or illuminating the trophies at all. I'm sure it's just a simple little thing I'm missing - it always is. Are there any sources out there on the 'Net that'll teach me more about volume lights in Maya? Somebody help me! LOL! What would anyone suggest I do to showcase these trophies (ya know, I built them myself and I'm dying to show them off... rendering them and posting them tonight)? Thanks in advance! user added image

Russell

Russell Bolding
# 5 12-09-2003 , 09:04 PM
BTW, how do I know what direction the light is going in, just like with area lights? I know there's some kind of arrow/line/pointy thingie in there...

Russell

Russell Bolding
# 6 12-09-2003 , 09:20 PM
2 ways:

1. The light shape itself most of the time looks, or has an arrow at the end of one of its' lines showing direction.

2. Select your light, and click the MOVE tool.
Then below the move tool, is the "Show Manipulator Tool".
(hint: with your object selected, just hit Y on your keyboard to invoke it)

This will let you see the light "target" or general aim directionuser added image

Then, just move the handles like any other object to re-aim the light aimuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 7 13-09-2003 , 11:18 PM

No Need For The Volume Lights

I finally got what I was after in my lighting without volume lighting. I still can't figure those out so I think I'll pass until I can get a grasp on it.

Below you'll see my latest render... spotlights and an added glow to the light bulbs. Enjoy. user added image

Russell

Russell Bolding
# 8 13-09-2003 , 11:20 PM

Forgot the pix...

...stupid, stupid, stupid!!!...

Attached Thumbnails

Russell Bolding