Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 16-10-2006 , 01:10 PM

Particles not showing through glass

help help help... i must be losing my mind!

Ok i have a cloud made from particles and when i render it on its own its fine.

HOWEVER... when i render it looking through a glass window the cloud just doesnt show up!

Ive had this issue with glow intensity not showing through glass as well.. its driving me batty!

please help!

any solutions would be great

thankyou!

# 2 17-10-2006 , 02:44 PM
Sorry. I tried to reproduce this, but I cannot. My smoke always shows up behind my glass. The only thing I can think of is maybe refraction. I've never been good with refraction, and every time I try to use it nothing shows up behind it. If you have any refraction, try turning it off.

If you come up with a fix, I'd be curious to know what it was.

Good luck.

# 3 22-10-2006 , 12:15 AM
glow is a post-process effect so it's done afterthe render is finished and that's why it wont show up behind your glass. The only way around this is to not use maya's fx to do the glow.

As for the smoke you will need to post some pics or the scene file for us to see.

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 4 22-10-2006 , 01:43 AM
Hi ppl, thanx for you help but i actually fixed it.. YAY!

i fixed it by making a brand new glass material... and by some miracle of god all my particles and glow effects show up through this glass.

i cant say i understand why this new glass works and the old one doesnt... it just does!

I changed some of the glass attributes...
colour from grey to black
spec colour from white to grey
cosine power from 20 to 70

the other changes were rather minor

anyway ive got no idea why it works but it does.. so im happy