Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 14-01-2008 , 07:05 PM
Jr.Who

Upgrading Vista

Hey guys,

My sister just got a laptop that's a PC and it has Vista Home Basic on it. I was looking around the different versions for it and I thought about upgrading it to Home Premium. Are there any advantages to this?

Here's the tech specs of the laptop:
Intel Celeron processor 530 (1.73 GHz)
1 GB RAM
80 GB HDD

-Jr.Who
user added image

# 2 14-01-2008 , 07:16 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
Theres certainly no advantages i would want
Im nit really sure but if iremember rightly microsoft tried to make the diffrences sound great when there all really practically the same

# 3 14-01-2008 , 07:30 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
You mean downgrading to Vista user added image

There isn't really anything extra that you could, or would want to make use of.
There all as horrible as each other :headbang:

I think the Minimum required memory for Vista (to run properly) is 2GB... at least thats what i was told.

But my Dad is running it on his Machine with only 1GB.... so should be fine.

Honestly.... I would stick with XP... at least until they Iron out all the bugs.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 4 14-01-2008 , 08:26 PM
Lifetime Member
The best place for Vista is in the garbage can.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 5 15-01-2008 , 01:26 AM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by Mayaniac
You mean downgrading to Vista user added image

So true.

Well, now all I have to do is convince her to let me put it on.

# 6 15-01-2008 , 05:10 AM
I think you dont get all the fancy "fisher Price" look to it and a few bits here and there, but the overall functionality of it will be the same.

I would be a bit cautious of putting one of the higher vistas on that machine as vista eats system resources like theres no tomorrow and its not a hugely spec'ed machine.

Wait till a servie pack comes out and it might be worth going to it then!

# 7 15-01-2008 , 08:40 AM
On the subject of Vista service packs, I hear that they have a beta for SP1 out.

Apparently, the 'best OS in the world' and its ultra advanced service pack requires multiple reboots and has a installation experience similar to pushing a massive boulder up a steep hill, only to have it fall back down again, with someone poking you with a sharpened stick the whole time. :lmao:

Hasn't Microsoft ever heard of Linux, where you don't have to reboot everytime you install something? user added image

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 8 15-01-2008 , 11:03 AM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by The Architect
Hasn't Microsoft ever heard of Linux, where you don't have to reboot everytime you install something? user added image

That's probably one of my most hated things about Windows. In OS X it's mostly drag and drop, and even when you have to install something, it usually doesn't require a restart.

# 9 15-01-2008 , 11:14 AM

Originally posted by Jr.Who
That's probably one of my most hated things about Windows. In OS X it's mostly drag and drop, and even when you have to install something, it usually doesn't require a restart.

Its incredible that people put up with constant rebooting. In Windows, install a driver, reboot. Install a program, reboot. Change some settings, reboot. As for uninstalling things... more reboots! I wonder if Microsoft's opinion of this is: It's not an annoyance/sign of our technical deficiencies, its a feature! user added image

As for drag and drop installing and uninstalling, that has got to be one of the most intuiative designs, though I personally prefer the Linux way of doing things (online software repositories + installer/manager).

# 10 15-01-2008 , 11:16 AM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by The Architect
Its incredible that people put up with constant rebooting. In Windows, install a driver, reboot. Install a program, reboot. Change some settings, reboot. As for uninstalling things... more reboots! I wonder if Microsoft's opinion of this is: It's not an annoyance/sign of our technical deficiencies, its a feature! user added image

Ugh, uninstalling is a pain too! The worst part is how long it takes for them to reboot. :zzz:

# 11 15-01-2008 , 11:24 AM
If installing, uninstalling is a pain, then I wonder what trying to get Windows to network is... every time you change your IP address or something, restart and wait... The change didn't work? Change something else, restart and wait.