Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 09-07-2008 , 02:24 PM
Subscriber

does anyone use a firewall?

i would like to say i dont because they are f****** uselessly annoying

i dont think windows firewall does anything
and zone alarm refuses to let anything through and you can't not let things through

sometimes it comes with the stupid bubble that asks if you want to let it a program though but most of the time it just comes up with a bubble saying it blocked something from accessing the internet

like... www.google.com.... and then it stacks up 500 of these f****** alerts (because it can't breach that number... weird number...)

it never used to be this stupid.... it used to let me use the internet.... but now it doesn't unless its dead

what firewall do you guys use so you can only allow a few programs through and not every f****** address? :rant:

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 2 09-07-2008 , 02:39 PM
Acid44
narly rant dude:p

i used to use comodo firewall but it got annoying as **** cause im a gamer so the game would start and prcoeed to **** up because the stupid shit pops up asking to let it by... when it blocked half life 2 automatically without even a pop up warning... that's when i snapped:attn:

# 3 09-07-2008 , 02:41 PM
Subscriber
nice one!

i would go to the developers and give them a nice swing with my canes, swords, and anything else that i can find that's blunt...:blush:

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 4 09-07-2008 , 03:11 PM
Super Moderator
The machine I have that has an internet connection did use Zone Alarm but they were dragging their asses on making a version that was compatible with a 64 bit OS at the time so I switched to Kaspersky and never looked back.

- Genny
# 5 09-07-2008 , 09:01 PM
Firewalls you say?

Why my hand-coded (and slightly buggy) Osiris script for Netfilter protects my network (very appropriately named Nethernet*) from the Chaos of the Internets. user added image

If there ever was a good firewall it would be Netfilter. It is 100% customisable and it never slows down a connection (provided that you set up the rules properly). ISPs use it, so it is completely scalable to tens of thousands of simultaneous connections (depending on the power of the computer). The only "bad" thing about it is that you'll need to have either a degree in computer science and networking to be able to figure out how to use it, or you'll need pay $80 for a good book.

For the record, I spent the $80. That book has taught me more about networks than every single IT lesson in high school.

It isn't avaliable for Windows computers though, only for Linux, but it can protect every client on a network if it is installed at a chokepoint such as the router. Speaking of routers, Netfiler can be the router! :bow:

* Osiris is the king of the Netherworld in Ancient Egyptian mythology. Ethernet is the technology my LAN uses. It doesn't take too much effort to figure it out from here.

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 6 09-07-2008 , 10:36 PM
Subscriber
I remember Osiris... he got killed by Anubus and all his body parts got tossed around the world, so then his lover Isis went round collecting his pieces, but since he couldn't return to the living world after being killed he remained in the underworld/tatarus/hell whatever you want to call it...

as for the customizable programable firewall.... i'm ashamed to admit that even though i have a Computer Science degree i know naught about anything of what you just said :p

# 7 09-07-2008 , 10:54 PM

Originally posted by Chirone
I remember Osiris... he got killed by Anubus and all his body parts got tossed around the world, so then his lover Isis went round collecting his pieces, but since he couldn't return to the living world after being killed he remained in the underworld/tatarus/hell whatever you want to call it...

Hmm... from memory, I think it was Set who killed Osiris and Anubis embalmed (mummified) him. Anyways, I like that rivalry between Osiris and Set - some of the myths tell of Set being the victim of his rather gross tricks.

I should have also mentioned that the firewall script that runs on the clients (Osiris resides on the server) is called Isis.

as for the customizable programable firewall.... i'm ashamed to admit that even though i have a Computer Science degree i know naught about anything of what you just said :p

Cool! You've got a computer science degree! user added image

As for Zone Alarm, did you recently install some Windows updates? If so, it just might be possible that this might be the cause.

# 8 09-07-2008 , 11:43 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by The Architect
Hmm... from memory, I think it was Set who killed Osiris and Anubis embalmed (mummified) him. Anyways, I like that rivalry between Osiris and Set - some of the myths tell of Set being the victim of his rather gross tricks.

I should have also mentioned that the firewall script that runs on the clients (Osiris resides on the server) is called Isis.

Ah yes, Set (or Seth is some instances?), i got a little confuzzled there since anubis appears to have a more apperences in media than the others...

Originally posted by The Architect
Cool! You've got a computer science degree! user added image

As for Zone Alarm, did you recently install some Windows updates? If so, it just might be possible that this might be the cause. [/B]

if i remember right i may have allowed for some updates to have been installed...
i have reformatted C: again... stupid Acer...
and it works fine (but i guess it will screw up again if updates should be installed)
silly how windows doesn't keep all the updates when it reformats...

# 9 10-07-2008 , 12:17 AM

Ah yes, Set (or Seth is some instances?), i got a little confuzzled there since anubis appears to have a more apperences in media than the others...

It has to do with all those movies about mummies. Set was the god of chaos, deserts and storms. Not nearly as exciting as a three thousand year old mummy lumbering around... imotep! imotep! imotep!* user added image

# 10 10-07-2008 , 12:29 AM
I stopped using firewalls when i got a good router... and i just forward the ports i use on my router..... and all other ports are automaticly blocked..... so no more software firewalls.... get a good hardware one user added image

01001011011101010111011101100101011001010110101101 10010101100101
# 11 10-07-2008 , 02:00 AM

Firewalls? what is it anyway?

Oo, ya, I remember now. that useless Po*...
It haven't always been this useless though... I remember a time when I could actually use them... now the internet is ALL full of c*** so it's kind of impossible.
I just rely on a good anti virus to solve my security issues user added image (it even does the job pretty well as long as I don't use IE)
Oo, right, I got a router too not so long ago user added image
Benny

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)
# 12 13-07-2008 , 05:50 AM
I use comodo without any issues (maybe couple of minor ones early on, but just a matter of setting programs to "allow" so they have access to the net). Get prompted now and again but that's about it.

cheers

gubar

# 13 14-07-2008 , 05:57 AM
Subscriber
zone alarm has given an update to deal with that problem