Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 21-02-2003 , 08:01 PM

Anyone knwo a good c++ forum?

Guys I really need some help with a c++ graphics assignment (I have to write a particle system!!!) and so far so good but I need some help. So does anyone know of any good c++ forums? is there a simplyc++.com user added image

cheers

Alan

Ps. If anyone is interested below is a screen grab from the particle system as it is right now. I know it doesnt lok impressive but remember that I am coding this frmo nothing!!! user added image

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 2 21-02-2003 , 08:11 PM
Subscriber

# 3 21-02-2003 , 08:14 PM
ok thanks i will check it out

ALan

IMDB
# 4 24-02-2003 , 11:24 PM
Subscriber
Are you using openGL to run the graphics for your C/C++ assignment or is this straight C++?

~GateKeeper
Not really certified not really new!
# 5 25-02-2003 , 12:55 AM
i prefer Java 2 my self!

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 6 25-02-2003 , 01:09 AM
Open GL to do the graphics and c++ in the background doing all the graphics management etc.

Ultragames: I dont get a choice unfortunatley! I have to do a 3 year undergraduate c++ program in one year for my master's degree and it's getting stupidly hard! But i'm getting there, slowly!

IMDB
# 7 25-02-2003 , 01:26 AM
Subscriber
I have a little knowledge in OpenGL and a good background in C++ (I'm a undergrad CS student at Texas Tech University) Maybe I can help you out. PM me what your problem is and maybe I can help you with a solution. I might even be able to swing the question by one of my Prof's and he's more knowledgable on OpenGL/C++ than I.

~GateKeeper
# 8 25-02-2003 , 01:52 AM
Well since posting I have solved it (remarkably simply aswell!, but isnt that always the case!). I can post the exe if you're interested and the source as well if you want to have a look. It's not entirely fininshed yet but it's getting there.

user added image

Alan

Here's some screen shots please bear in mind this is NOT done in maya or something like that before anyone tell me i've posted a crappy omni emitter!! user added image It's all done from code and from scratch! :banana:

IMDB
# 9 25-02-2003 , 01:55 AM
and some facing squares, which can be textured i think to look like smoke or fire (Well that's the plan!)

IMDB
# 10 25-02-2003 , 02:06 AM
Subscriber
you liar!!! Those are sprites coming from an emitter slapped on a poly plane! user added image

jk.. good job! I am FAR off that stuff.. I just started my C Programming class and arrays are hard enough user added image

-Emo

# 11 25-02-2003 , 02:08 AM
I only started 5months ago! Take heart cause one day OO classes and derived classes et al will all just click and then you are off and running! Well that's sorta what happened to me with the OO stuff (Oh yeah and I read it and re-read it till it hurt my eyes and I got it!) user added image

Alan

IMDB
# 12 25-02-2003 , 02:28 AM
Subscriber
Congradulations on getting it to work. I wouldn't mind taking a gander at what you've done. If I could figure out how to create a stand alone exe I'd show you the final game I made for my Intro to Computer graphics class. ITs really cheezy. user added image That and the way we did it was really bad. (It flies in the face of good programming practices.)

~GateKeeper
# 13 25-02-2003 , 05:21 AM
Direct3D 9 forever!!!

# 14 25-02-2003 , 06:58 AM
You've prolly been to here but I thought I'd share this link anyway. This is were I've learned the very little I know about OGL.

https://nehe.gamedev.net/
Lesson 19 - Particle Engine Using Triangle Strips
Game Tutorial #3 - Designing a Particle Engine

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!

Last edited by kbrown; 25-02-2003 at 07:01 AM.
# 15 25-02-2003 , 01:25 PM
Subscriber
NEHE is awesome that site has so much advice on OpenGL programming and methodology. Quite a few times my prof pulled references from that site to show us some examples of how to do things. You can't go wrong there!

~GateKeeper