Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 18-02-2003 , 09:17 PM

? about alpha and shadows.

what i want to do is render and object with a shadow and composite but have the shadow be .5 in the alpha grey in the alpha channel so its just appears darker on that spot where the shadow is but still see the bottom layer or the composite. when i try and render out an object taht has a shadow the floor is included in teh alpha so i make add it to a scene layer and turn off visibility but then i get no shadow since there is no floor for the shadow to be on. How do you do this. thanks for your help

# 2 18-02-2003 , 09:48 PM
ok i know it has something to do with Matte Opacity but when i set my value to .5 teh entire plane is .5. how do i make the plane be in the alpha, black, and the shadows casted on it .5 or so on. thanks.

# 3 18-02-2003 , 09:57 PM
The Maya Mountain
I'm not understanding your question.. perhaps a screenshot would help?

# 4 19-02-2003 , 03:36 AM
well lets just say i want to render a shere that i want to composite on live footage later. i setup the lighting to be the same as the live footage so teh shadows are the same. Well assuming i dont have to worry about reflections how do i render only the shere to to compositied on live footage with a shadow. and in the alpha channel of a frame the shadow is grey, where the sphere is its white and everything else is black? i dont have a site to upload screenshots to show you user added image

# 5 19-02-2003 , 04:22 AM
The Maya Mountain
you might need to render the sphere and the shadow seperately.

# 6 19-02-2003 , 04:27 AM
how? thats what i wanna find out.