Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 25-11-2003 , 07:26 PM

Help! Rigid body resetting back to origin..alllways??

Hey user added image
I posted on another forum but everybody seems to be sleeping and since this site is the nicest looking site I figure this is where i'm going to get my answer:

I'm fairly new to maya 5.0,
when creating a _really_ simple polygon cube and moving it away from the origin (0,0,0) .... every time i try to make it either an active or passive rigid body it resets back to the origin (and since you can't change it once it's set...) ....this happens EVEN if i set x y z values for Initial Position. Please this is driving me crazy, what did I do wrong? I know it wasn't _always_ doing this.

Thanks so much,
- Lesia

# 2 25-11-2003 , 07:35 PM
maybe set a key at the position and then turn it into a rigid body? but I'm not sure that will work. IU just had a go and it didnt do it to me.... make sure that set initial position is off is all i can suggest.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 25-11-2003 , 08:07 PM
Subscriber
I would sujest falowing one of the dynamic's walkthroughs that is in the help files with maya. If the help is anything like it is in 4.5 thin it has a lesson about rigged bodys.. probably in the instant maya stuff. If things don't work right buy falowing that thin it could be a bigger problem than some simple setting is off.. which is often a problem for me, giving the complexity of maya.

# 4 25-11-2003 , 08:22 PM
yeah the keyframing works, however i didnt want to have to do that because i'd like the project to be a competely keyframeless animation.but i'm sure one keyframe on frame 1 will be okay user added image

Regarding one setting being off, that's what i think it is. I must have done/clicked something and now it's always resetting....I know this because when I did go back and do the mayabasics tutorial on rigid bodies , it didnt work how it is supposed to (and how it did the first time I ran the tutorial a month ago...it reset half of the planks back to the origin!

So now I try figure out what setting it is that causes this.

Thanks for the replies so far !

- lesia