Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 29-11-2005 , 11:04 AM
Subscriber

High poly to low poly baking?

Roughly how long could it take to bake down the details of a high poly model to a low? The reason I'm asking is I'm in work, and not only shouldn't be doing this but don't fancy baking if I have to leave my computer processing alone all day.

Thanks.

Baking down from 20,000 to 5,000

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.
# 2 29-11-2005 , 04:07 PM
Subscriber

# 3 29-11-2005 , 04:18 PM
Subscriber
user added image wow, I guess when compared to 2,000,000 polys mine should be a walk in the park so to speak.

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.
# 4 30-11-2005 , 01:34 AM
Subscriber
Now what does polygon baking mean, if you dont mind me asking? Also, in the image samples that you gave, was the 5000 poly model used in the game? If so, isn't it somewhat low detail?

Thanks.

# 5 30-11-2005 , 02:46 AM
Subscriber
yea 5k is low poly, but considering the amount of poly in the high rez and advances in the unreal 3 engine this was the final in game demo result
https://www.unrealtechnology.com/scre..._creation3.jpg

baking surface info from one mesh to another is when u normal map a character, or transfer UV info, or shape info etc... this vary from 3d package to 3d package.

# 6 30-11-2005 , 03:05 AM

Originally posted by Nusirilo
Now what does polygon baking mean, if you dont mind me asking? Also, in the image samples that you gave, was the 5000 poly model used in the game? If so, isn't it somewhat low detail?

Thanks.

Technically the 5000 poly model was used in the game...

https://www.unrealtechnology.com/scre..._creation3.jpg

That's what it looked like. Basically what happens is the low poly mesh gets textured with a normal map. Every pixel on the screen gets individually lit -- and if it touches a section of a normal mapped model... it doesn't take the lighting data from the flat surface. Oh no my friend, it grabs the surface normal in the normal map and sees which way its pointed.

Basically what you're doing is gently nudging the light vector off-angle to adjust its brightness... and the lighting data is taken from the high-poly mesh. If the polygon's pointed at you, but the normal map says that texel's normal is pointed down and right, it adjusts the brightness accordingly.

And yes -- all smart engine programmers take into account texel shifts... don't worry about your color map being shifted around.

Last edited by Phopojijo; 30-11-2005 at 03:08 AM.
# 7 30-11-2005 , 02:15 PM
Subscriber
Wow, I hope I don't have to use that technique for a while, because to be honest, I barely understand what you just said because of all the jargon hehe.

# 8 01-12-2005 , 06:33 PM

Originally posted by Nusirilo
Wow, I hope I don't have to use that technique for a while, because to be honest, I barely understand what you just said because of all the jargon hehe.

Its easier to do than to explain. Basically the point is the geometry in game is NOT the geometry used to light and shadow.

Apart from the edges -- people will see the high-poly model... but it doesn't need to render all those polygons.