Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 07-10-2005 , 11:45 AM

Painting Weights Problem!?!?

Heya SM user added image

I hope I can find a solution here. I am drawing a complete blank when I try figure out what the problem is......Anyways here is my problem....

I have completed rigging a character, so now I have begun the task that everyone loves doing..hehehe....painting skin weights! Yay!!!...anyways..hehe..I am not able to paint weights. Not even with the component editor?? It gives me a warning message:

// Warning: Specified weight could not be set due to locked influences. //

And it does nothing. I am going through all my steps, and have no clue why this is happening. Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening?? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated user added image

Mills user added image

-------------------------------------------
# 2 09-10-2005 , 11:21 PM
You rig THEN paint weights? To my knowledge you paint your weights for the skeleton BEFORE you attach it/after detach (though I never came across the need to yet)

Please explain further.

# 3 10-10-2005 , 06:39 AM
Heya Phopojijo

You always rig a skeleton before you bind him to your model. You can't paint skin weights unless your character is skinned. user added image

Mills

-------------------------------------------
# 4 10-10-2005 , 06:41 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Phopojijo
You rig THEN paint weights? To my knowledge you paint your weights for the skeleton BEFORE you attach it/after detach (though I never came across the need to yet)

Please explain further.

Nope, you definately bind the mesh to the skeleton and then paint the weights. The default smooth skin creates some weights, but, in my experience, they are rubbish. You need to paint the weights to get anything resembling a decent deformation. I just wish Maya had a skinning system that was somewhere near as good as the one in Messiah.

Sorry, MainlineX, but I'm afraind I don't have a clue about your problem.

Cheers,
Malcolm

'England Expects That Every Man Will Do His Duty' - Vice-Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson - Battle of Trafalgar - 21st October 1805