Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 28-01-2012 , 08:00 AM
Subscriber

Wireframe render help

Q1: I'm trying to render out a wireframe footage to composite on top of my render in AE.

I used the toonshader method:

select object, add new toon outline, profile lines: off, border lines: off, local occlusion: line surface (so only one the sides of an object that are seen from the camera will get outlined, no xray); then under crease lines: line width 0.1, crease angle min/max: 0, hard creases only: off.

The problem is that I still see all the object on the other side of the house, even with the local occlusion set to line surface. It only shows the sides from the camera view for each object, but it sees through objects.. I took all the polygons and merged in one object hoping to solve the problem, but it didn't work, still getting the same result:

user added image

What am I doing wrong? I just want wireframe on the edges that would be visible from the camera, so that I can composite this on top of the original render.

---
Q2: I found another tutorial on how to do wireframe using MR:
https://blog.ayanray.com/2010/01/the-...frame-in-maya/

,but I get lost at point 4: "Open the mental ray -> Contours tab"

I understand this is somewhere in HS editor, and I have the MR loaded, but I'm not sure where to look for this tab, there is contour store, c. contrast, c. shader and c. output each with set of materials, but I don't think that's the right thing. Btw. I use Maya 2012

Let me know if you know how to render the wireframe, either way MR of software rendere is good. Thanks!

# 2 28-01-2012 , 08:42 AM
Acid44

# 3 28-01-2012 , 08:49 AM
Subscriber
I always use the second option to do mine. Make sure the mental ray pluggin is up and running > create the new matrial > and the tab will show up in the shadder group. - This is screen shot in Maya 2012

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by tweetytunes; 28-01-2012 at 08:52 AM.
# 4 28-01-2012 , 08:59 AM
Subscriber
Here are the settings in the render view

Attached Thumbnails

# 5 28-01-2012 , 08:53 PM
Subscriber
Thanks guys!

# 6 29-01-2012 , 01:13 AM

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 7 29-01-2012 , 08:57 PM
Subscriber
Thanks ctbram, that helps alot