Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 28-08-2004 , 04:52 PM
Subscriber

Question about getting a DEEGREE

hello all!

I am currently in an art school in la but am seriously considering transferring to G n o m o n @ Hollywood because I feel my school does not emphasize enough on the things I want to learn.

My question is - Is a deegree a must for this industry. Because i've heard mixed opinions about this topic. I talked to my school counselor and he said that while it's true that you don't necessarily need a job to get in this industry, but a deegree will separate those that will advance in to higher positions.

is my counselor correct? I hope h'es not because I really feel that g n o m o n is more geared towards how the industry works.

Last edited by leykias; 28-08-2004 at 04:54 PM.
# 2 28-08-2004 , 04:57 PM
The Maya Mountain
having a degree or not has not been much of a consideration as far as I can tell. It's all about quality and speed of work. higher positions are generally those with good management skills, again not necessarily related to having a degree.

# 3 28-08-2004 , 08:53 PM
Subscriber
Argh ... now I’m scared. I just logged on with the intension to ask the very same question. I was wondering if I don't get accepted at uni this year is it worth reapplying the next year or just devoting the next three years of my life to self-learning Animation?

# 4 28-08-2004 , 09:09 PM
Subscriber
sure a degree is great, but if you can't model or animate at a good pace not many people will want you to work for them. If you're slow now, maybe going through college to get a degree will make you faster.... and maybe it won't... It all depends. Some people can learn on their own fine, but some people need to be in an environment to get going.

For me, in my opinion I think I can model just fine. I'm going through the Art Institute of Atlanta right now because a) I want a degree and b) I want to draw better. Yeah I could probably teach myself to draw like I taught myself Maya, but I just don't want to unless I'm in a classroom with other people. I have also learned things I know I wouldn't have learned myself though, so it makes it worthwhile.

Now although I won't be able to even use Maya until the second or third year here, I'm fairly sure I'm going to fly through the class because I already know so much.

One huge company in particular to note is Rare Ltd. (www.rareware.com) They are big for making fantastic video games and are very well known, but for years I have heard them say repeatedly that they hire people based upon their skill level for the most part. A degree or even experience in the field isn't required. (although obviously people who have been in the field for a while most likely have better skills than people who don't)

anyway... that's what I think.

# 5 28-08-2004 , 10:06 PM
A degree is just a bit of paper - it wont get you a job. Your skills as an artist will get you the job. The question is how you want to obtain those skills.

I'm going for a (traditional art) degree mainly because i want to build my drawing skills, and i'd rather learn with teachers and others students in the classroom. Plus, as one of the links below note, there is an overwhelming lack of the basic art principals with 3d communities. Understanding basic art fundamentals will give your work a big boost. I would prefer to learn the fundamentals, then adapt them to 3d. Why would you wanna learn to run before you can walk?

Would you have a discipline to teach your self? It may go in your favour if you do, however you wont have real time constraints that you would have in college - there wont be anyone breathing down your neck for completed projects. This can prep your for the real world.

There's many reason for or against a degree - these links note some of them:

5 Reasons You Should Go To College

5 Reasons Not To Go To College

user added image

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....

Last edited by doodle; 28-08-2004 at 10:24 PM.
# 6 28-08-2004 , 10:07 PM
Subscriber
thanks for the replies guys!

to mckinley - when you say good management skills...is this a learned trait? meaning.... are there management classes available to take? if so, do you know any good places to take these classes near the la area?

from your opinions.... i am leanning towards transferring out of my current college (Otis Art College) and going to G n o m o n's Digital Certificate program. From what I gathered, G n o m o n has great program and even helps you build a portfolio to help you get into the industry.

# 7 28-08-2004 , 10:07 PM

Originally posted by mtmckinley
having a degree or not has not been much of a consideration as far as I can tell. It's all about quality and speed of work. higher positions are generally those with good management skills, again not necessarily related to having a degree.

... or actually being good at managing... sure it helps... but it is more about political skill...

# 8 28-08-2004 , 10:35 PM

Originally posted by leykias
[B]thanks for the replies guys!

are there management classes available to take? if so, do you know any good places to take these classes near the la area?

Yes there are management classes on economics, bussiness administration and direction (mine... i have been certified as being BADuser added imageMUHAHAHHAA)... and about any other superior degree here in spain has at least an optative 4 months assignature on it...
but, that doesnt means it will take you to management positions... learning politics (and i dont mean the theoric classes on the politics career) will lead you there...

# 9 28-08-2004 , 11:07 PM
The Maya Mountain
Management, at least as far as I can tell, is mostly a matter of being able to stay very organized. In an art department, it tends to be mostly a matter of scheduling and making sure the artists in your team are meeting those schedule requirements. The higher up the ladder you go, the more people you have to manage and be held accountable for. If Art Peon #5 missed his deadline, the CEO is going to look at the Art Director as to why this happend.

Personally, I don't see myself being in an Art Director position in my career. Maybe a Senior Artist or a Lead Artist. I could see manageing a small sub-team, but not the whole department. user added image

# 10 28-08-2004 , 11:29 PM
if you get to manage forget doing the creative stuff, you are there to give strategic leadership, organize, schedule and optimize the output of your department... a lead still does the fun and cretive work but he has to manage to get the time to manage its group and attend to meetings.... on the other hand,shit tends to go downards so if the lead of the peon 5 department didnt either solved it somehow or told the manager that they werent going on schedule so that he could make an strategical decision(like hiring a merc or assigning someone that is goldplating something else on other department to help Peon5 task to get on schedule again) it will be very unlikely that the head of the manager will be at stake but that of the lead or that of Peon5... and in the event it is the manager´s head the one to start to roll, then everyone else down the chain is screwed too...

Last edited by dragonfx; 28-08-2004 at 11:41 PM.
# 11 29-08-2004 , 02:35 AM
Subscriber
alright thanks guys ! =)

# 12 29-08-2004 , 03:08 AM
I have I BFA in fine art and I do think that it dose help as far as telling potential employers that:

1) Committed to learning
2) Teachable
3) Sometime helps getting you the door or at least not the trash bin right away=)

School helped me because most of my work is modeling based right now the way I have been trained to see helps so much. Being able to break down ojbects into lines and form in my head even before I start to model is invaluable to me. All this can be done on ones own but it comes faster with the right teachers.

Yes It's is a peice of paper but it dose show that you have worked hard to learn a trade. I know that with out school it would have taken me quite a bit longer to get to the point I am now. Not to mention I cant read or wright very well because im dislecsic. Which would have slowed me down even more trying to read books because at the time there was not a lot of video tuts avialable.

School I think is just a faster why to get the tools and skill sets you need to improve at a faster pace instead of trying to learn on you own with books or a few tuts here and their. Most people learn from watching rather then reading at a faster pace.

It comes down to the person. If you feel that you can learn the programs on your own then that's awesome, but if you think you would like a bit of help and be able to see it hands on then school is great.

Just my 2 cents.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 13 29-08-2004 , 03:44 AM
The Maya Mountain
I agree for the most part. Schooling does make the learning faster and having a degree can be impressive. I'm glad I went to school, but not for the degree... frankly, the degree I have is worthless. Associates in "Visual Communication"? :p Dumb. But the learning I received helped me to learn "how" to learn and helped me teach myself further down the road. user added image

# 14 29-08-2004 , 04:10 AM
Subscriber
oh by the way, I've actually always wanted to know something... is there any place where you can get a masters degree? I'm getting an Associates degree in Game Art Design at AIA, but I've NEVER heard of any master degrees, yet I know you have to have them in order to teach at places like Ringling. Anyone know?

# 15 30-08-2004 , 10:49 PM

Originally posted by Darkware
oh by the way, I've actually always wanted to know something... is there any place where you can get a masters degree? I'm getting an Associates degree in Game Art Design at AIA, but I've NEVER heard of any master degrees, yet I know you have to have them in order to teach at places like Ringling. Anyone know?

It's pretty strange you havent heard of a masters degree. Virtually all subjects in the UK, art related or not have a Masters degree of some sort. Bournemouth have only one animation BA degree, but there 4 Masters degrees.

Are they not that widespread in the US?

p.s. what is an Associates degree?

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....

Last edited by doodle; 30-08-2004 at 10:55 PM.