Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 76 28-06-2007 , 08:13 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Steve

this looks real nice, I think in terms of lighting, it's getting there but try and tone down the ambient level on the materials as its washing it out making it a little bright in places.

nice bit of modelling and texturing though

Cheers
Jay

# 77 29-06-2007 , 05:32 AM
Cheers guys.

I rendered out a little fly by video that I posted up on you tube a bit ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3hHmCr-qxM

Its a bit fast, as I thought that 5 seconds was a long time! Its also seems to have gone a bit "jerkey" with the compression of the video (as the full files smooth as)

Thanks for the advice on the lighting, I'll get back onto this when I eventually get enought descent stuff to make a demo reel.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 78 03-07-2007 , 07:15 AM
The guitar looks great. user added image

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 79 21-07-2007 , 12:59 AM
Good work. Did you use an animation modifier to bend those strings into place of the tuning pegs? What material did you use for the frets?

# 80 21-07-2007 , 05:01 PM
Before getting too concerned with the lighting and whatnot, and I suppose this applies only if you're going for photo-realism, you should re-examine your modeling and reference materials. Standard Les Pauls are thicker—yours is more like a LP Jr. which would have a different pickup arrangement/type. The body also looks a little more elongated than it should be and the curved areas have a blockiness to them. Knobs aren't correct, String action is way too high, etc. I would hunt down close-up pics of a LPS from all angles so you can get the details.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 81 22-07-2007 , 02:21 AM

Originally posted by NitroLiq
Before getting too concerned with the lighting and whatnot, and I suppose this applies only if you're going for photo-realism, you should re-examine your modeling and reference materials. Standard Les Pauls are thicker—yours is more like a LP Jr. which would have a different pickup arrangement/type. The body also looks a little more elongated than it should be and the curved areas have a blockiness to them. Knobs aren't correct, String action is way too high, etc. I would hunt down close-up pics of a LPS from all angles so you can get the details.

Cheers for the crits.

I used my Les Paul copy as reference, which the model essentially fits, when I come to making a demo reel I might have a look at the proportions, as I said a while ago this project is essentially finished (was about 6 months ago).

The knobs are a copy of the ones that Ive got on my guitar, and the string height was just that, thats how it came out whan I added them, I could get rid of the blockeyness by adding a secomd smooth poly to the body

Like I said I'll have a look closer to putting a demo reel together.

# 82 22-07-2007 , 08:21 AM
You have to be careful using a LP copy as reference because not all are entirely accurate. I own a Les Paul Standard so some of the things really stood out. Again, it all depends what you're really trying to achieve at the end.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 83 22-07-2007 , 11:31 AM
Now, after that good guitar, U got to make someone to play it, it would be shame if noone plays that GOOD guitar. lol

https://artforum.4rumer.net/
The best art forum ever[/size]
# 84 18-10-2008 , 06:15 PM
your guitar looks great. I myself am working on modeling my takamine. was wondering if you could give me some tips. How did you do your strings? I tried the helix, but maya couldn't really handle the attributes i tried. and how did you give them that nice wrap around the tuning peg at the top? I also liked the way the strings deforms around the bridge? did you use a latice to do that? I'm a student so I apperciate any tips. thanks..

# 85 18-10-2008 , 06:22 PM
Blast from the past!

I used simple extrusions for them, from a cylinder.

# 86 22-10-2008 , 07:57 PM
Simply Maya OG
I remember this thread! Damn.....lol

- Hybrid
# 87 22-10-2008 , 08:02 PM
Subscriber
lol blast from the past indeed, was a epic thread

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch