Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 15-09-2010 , 03:44 AM

Multiple Geometry Refrencing

Am looking for some help, i have a scene where i have multiple hex cylinder geomtry more than 200. i want to help reduce the load on rendering so was wondering if there is a way to refrence one original shape and have the rest use the original as its refrence.

If there is an easyier way the advice would me much appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 15-09-2010 , 04:03 AM
instead of using actual mesh to make it, what you could do is create a texture, something like this: user added image

and use it as a bump or displacement map, this will give you same effect but will greatfly affect your render time

# 3 15-09-2010 , 04:57 AM
Lifetime Member
I agree...bump map maybe??

Perth!!! another Aussie...LOL

good looking kind poster feel to it...what is it maent to be mate??

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 15-09-2010 , 06:18 AM
The thin red line
You could also use instances...............dave

# 5 15-09-2010 , 09:34 AM
Its to be an old kind of computer system but its huge spanning miles, each of the hex cylinders would be a different system.

Im looking to do an animation where the camera tracks along the ground and up to the hex collum that has risen up.

I was considering using a texture and a bump map but will i get the same results being as its not a static shot?

Yeah little old aussie here lol just testing the waters seeing what i can do really. user added image