Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 31 03-12-2010 , 08:20 PM
The thin red line
I think you have to put it in your first post.........dave

# 32 05-12-2010 , 08:07 PM
Subscriber
Is there any way I can lay out UV's for one of my cylinders and copy it over to all other cylinders that are the same size?
I have a bunch of these cylinders and am thinking there has to be a way to do this so that I don't have to lay out UV's for each and every one of them.

# 33 05-12-2010 , 08:50 PM
The thin red line
Mesh, Transfer Attributes that should do it................dave

Edit:if the parts are going to be animated you need to delete the history after you have done the transfer

Last edited by daverave; 05-12-2010 at 09:13 PM.
# 34 05-12-2010 , 09:25 PM
Subscriber
Thanks dave! It seems to work. I noticed if I want to move all my uved objects I still have to delete history so they don't jump all over the uv editor (highlight all in UV editor and select the move to, move them and they get all jumpy and don't move smoothly until I delete history).

Put the settings to
Vertex Position: off
Vertex normal: off
UV Sets: All
Color Set: All
Sample space: Component
Mirroring: Off
Flip UVs: Off
Color Borders: Preserve
Search method: Closest to point

# 35 05-12-2010 , 09:44 PM
The thin red line
Sorry I just remember after posting to delete history, went back and edited the post, quite funny if you are doing a animation with all your textures going haywire.......dave

# 36 05-12-2010 , 10:09 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the help dave, I just did a bunch of UV's in no time due to this helpful tip. Works good... so far anyway!

# 37 19-12-2010 , 08:01 PM
Subscriber
I have officially laid out the UV's on everything except for this part

user added image

I was wondering if I should even bother laying out the UV's for this or if I should just apply a shader for it. What do you guys think?

Oh and here are all the UV's laid out, probably not the most detailed UV screen shot, but there it is. I will do the merry go round, sand box, and bleachers separately from the main part of the playground.
I separated them, yellows, red's, and blues blacks and off-yellow. I will have to add another square if you guys decide that I should lay out the UV's for the chains.

user added image

Last edited by Rhetoric Camel; 19-12-2010 at 08:46 PM.
# 38 19-12-2010 , 09:00 PM
Subscriber
Well after about an hour of sitting here thinking whether or not I should lay those UV's out on the chain, I've decided I'm going to. Just so I can add a bit of rust to them. Now I have to try and figure out where I can fit them in my huge cluster of UV's.

# 39 19-12-2010 , 09:05 PM
Subscriber
some of them you could reuse.
you could layout 4 or 8 and then only have 4 or 8 different chain rings and the same texture would be repeated on some f the rings.
you just have to give some of the rings the same UVs

also did you put the uv's in the negative quadrants so that you could see all of them at once? or do you have them in the positive quadrant normally but just changed it for the purpose of this screen shot?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 40 19-12-2010 , 09:18 PM
Subscriber
well Ive just been transfering attributes to each one. Is there any way I can transfer attribute to multiple? Or could you point me in the direction of how to do what you said with only laying out uv's to 8 of 'em and transferring that over to the rest? I just spent about 30 minutes laying out one of the lines of chain, there has to be an easier way.

I set them up like that to show them all off. I'll put them in the upper right box as I take the screen shots. Hopefully it works, I've never done this before. I know moving UV's around after you take the screen shot usually screws with what you did, so to be honest I don't know what I'm doing from here.

Last edited by Rhetoric Camel; 19-12-2010 at 09:31 PM.
# 41 20-12-2010 , 04:49 AM
Looking very good Rhetoric. I love projects that have multiple objects in it. Good job on the uv layout. Sadly, after 3 years of working with Maya I still don't really know how to layout uv's so hats off to you. I definitely look forward to seeing how it all turns out.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 42 20-12-2010 , 06:52 AM
Subscriber
i'm just making things up so i cant point you to a website or anything

but i'd layout one of the rings, then (i've never done this but i've seen someone suggest to someone else to do it) transfer the UVs to 7 other rings and move them around so that all 8 rings have UVs in different coordinates.
then id transfer the UVs from those 8 rings to the rest of the rings. 8 should be enough to take out any sort of pattern that may emerge if you were to give them all the same texture map. and there's enough to randomise it so that if you pick a ring and count 8 up the chain it isn't guaranteed to be the same ring
this way you only have to lay out one ring and the rest is essentially copy-paste

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 43 20-12-2010 , 07:46 AM
Earlier in your W.I.P. you asked about ways to create the spiral slide. Even though you did an excellent job, here's another method you could try for future projects. All I did was create a cylinder, use a twist deformer then extrude a column of faces outward (twice to create row of faces I could make the side wall from). Then I extruded the outer faces upward to create the side wall. A few more extrudes and some minor tweaking later, you end up with a decent start.

Attached Thumbnails

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 44 20-12-2010 , 08:19 PM
Subscriber
@Perfect Nice to see you here again! You come in waves it seems, or you're posting on the forums and I'm not seeing it. You should really look into learning to UV as much of a pain in the ass it is, it's great to know so that you can really work on dirtying things up a bit. I wish I had thought of that idea for the slide, looks pretty simple in comparison. I'm actually now considering redoing that slide that way. Has a much cleaner finish to it than mine does, which when you look up close is kind of sloppy looking. Thanks for the idea/tip I'll give it a shot and see if it works better than what I have, and if so, I'll replace it.

@Chirone hmmm sounds interesting, not sure I quite get it still. Have to look into it. Or maybe someone else that is browsing through here could throw out a couple ideas? Thanks for the help I'll see if I can find anymore information on that.