Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 11-09-2014 , 09:17 AM

Arnold wont render diffuse on objects

Okay, im out of ideas. So I applied my diffuse to this object, render it and it worked fine, i added the specular map and bump to it and after that arnold will only render the specular and bump map and skip rendering the diffuse. whats going on here .... this happens to 2 of my objects, the texture size is 2K (2.67MB), so its kinda hard to imagine it being too big since the guitar-body texture is 23 MB, 8K and it renders fine. I have exported all objects into a new scene and the problem remains. Also it works fine to view in viewport 2.0. also theese images are rendered with a quick pointlight, I tried using HDRI too.
user added image
user added image

what i've tried now:
Exporting to a new scene
Deleted the history
Checked so everything is ok at the arnold tab for the object
Tried new lights
Used JPG instead of PNG
i tried using my "woodpart" texture on the guitarbody material and i can actually see my diffuse like that. but the other channels for this are obviously not right, so the problem remains
Tried creating a new material and re-applying all the things

The weird thing is if i apply my guitarbody material for this object it renders fine. im going crazyyyyyy right now what. is. wrongggg user added image user added imageuser added imageuser added image user added imageuser added imageuser added imageuser added image user added image

thanks
skalman

SOLVED!!

for some very random reason my specular map took over completely, i had a very bright (almost white) specular texture applied (which i wouldnt think was a problem, since the default specular is plain white), and weight was set to about 0.250, lowering this value makes my diffuse show as it should. I dont know why this happened, but having a more grey-like texture seems to be working better... very odd i must say

20 year old guy from Sweden

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^

Last edited by Skalman; 11-09-2014 at 11:13 AM.
# 2 11-09-2014 , 11:35 AM
user added image

Conclusion:
Arnolds specular is soooooo weird. and i think its unpossible for me to get the proper effect of the top part of this damn guitar................. jesus christ arnold

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding

^ My facebook page ^
# 3 11-09-2014 , 02:23 PM
Technical Director
Believe it or not, this is actually how specularity and reflection SHOULD be handled. Many other renderers allow you to break the fundamental concept of conservation of energy.

The weight is simply a multiplier of the texture. Therefore full white (1.0) * 0.25 = 0.25. Grey (0.5) * 0.25 = 0.125.

Also, it looks like you haven't gamma corrected your textures.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 4 11-09-2014 , 07:08 PM
alltight, thanks for the reply, maybe i shouldn't hate on arnold so much then. this just kind of pissed me off today. anyways thanks for the reply, ill look over my gamma corrections for my textures, thanks for mentioning that! Where did you learn all this? I'm kind of getting more in-depth with specularity since i enjoy trying to create as realistic models as possible. also do you have any clue how reflection works? because its giving me nothing right now, as a guitar has some reflectivity in it (i put it to max value and nothing changes) user added image

OK nevermind, it does reflect the objects in my scene, but not the HDRI. ill try and figure this out tomorrow user added image so many problems today haaaa. atleast im learning from theese mistakes user added image

once again, big thanks NextDesign for the reply!

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding

^ My facebook page ^

Last edited by Skalman; 11-09-2014 at 10:51 PM.
# 5 16-09-2014 , 10:19 PM
The Nurb Herd
did you try rendering the diffuse and specular AOV?

# 6 22-09-2014 , 08:30 PM
honestdom, i didnt at that time, but that would probably make things more clear about what was going on for me, thanks for the tip man!

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding

^ My facebook page ^