Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 09-01-2003 , 04:39 PM

Fresnel falloff?

Hi, does anybody know how to create a fresnel falloff for use on reflection in maya, I know how to achieve this effect in Max but can't seem to find the Maya version, any help would be cool, thanks James.

# 2 09-01-2003 , 06:50 PM
If I got your question right you have to add a Stencil Info to your shading network (right click in the Hypershade background Create > General Utilities > Sampler Info) which you'll use to find out how much a pixel is facing the cam, a Ramp (Create > 2d Textures > Ramp) which you'll use to assign a color and/or transparency accordingly to the facing ratio. Now you have to make some connections:
- sampler info's facing ratio to ramp's V Coord (you'll have to use the others... option to see these attributes)
- ramp's outColor to your shader's color
AND / OR
- ramp's outColorR to your shader's transparecnyR,
- ramp's outColorG to your shader's transparencyG
- ramp's outColorB to your shader's transparencyB
depending on you wanting to do like max does (the latter) or not.

You may be thinking this "procedure" is complicated and when compared to the max one, it is. But as everything in Maya, this approach is far core flexible. You can easily "noisify" the facing ratio data or something like that...

p.s. - I guess you guys know an easier/better way to do it. If so please share it will me user added image

mayan@netcabo.pt
# 3 10-01-2003 , 05:07 PM
Cheers man, havn't tried it out yet but it sounds like a step in the right direction, i know what you mean by 'sounds complicated' but I agree with what you said about it adding a great deal of flexibility, i've found this fact with quite afew different things in maya since switching from Max, thanks again
James.

# 4 10-01-2003 , 06:19 PM
Try to use RampShader (if u have Maya 4.5).

# 5 29-11-2007 , 12:11 PM
Hi 2 all

This is my first post, and i was just wondering how you would connect this up to the reflectivity also, because water uses the fresnel effect in the transparency and the reflectivity so how would this be hooked up ??

Thanks

Andy Gee