Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 08-02-2008 , 12:07 PM
Subscriber

clothing question.. please help

When you make your clothing for your character do you delete the geometry underneath the clothes? can you leave geometry underneath?

Also, if you parent your clothing to your character instead of combining the clothes to character geometry wil your character deform properly when rigged ?

thankyou.

# 2 09-02-2008 , 04:50 AM
as far as i know, if you are clothing ur character, u just don't model anything under the clothes. i have seen many modelers work in similiar fashion. i don't know if it will create any problem to leave geometry underneath coz i havn't tried clothing ...

# 3 09-02-2008 , 05:14 AM
It all sepends on what you want it to do, if your going for uber realistic with cloth sims than you need to model the body underneath as this allows the cloth to collide with the body and make a nice simulaton.

If your not really bothered with making a uber realistic sim then dont bother modeling the body, just model the clothes and then bind then to the character and treat them as you would any skinning job, you could also add blend shapes to add some creases etc for ciritan poses.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 4 09-02-2008 , 10:51 AM
Subscriber
Ok thankyou.

Hey Gster, Can you tell me in order how to do the following.
Is this the correct order or logical order>

Model
texture
rigg
blendshapes
skin
paintewights

also do you keep the head seperated from body when doing blends for facial expressions and lips ect..?

thankyou.

# 5 10-02-2008 , 09:06 AM
Actually you model
texture
then do the blend shapes
then rigg
then skin
paint weights.

because after rigging sometimes it may be a prob getting the blend shapes...not always though.ifollow this pattern it might differ for others.