Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 05-11-2008 , 10:32 AM

Rigging - Eye Lookat using Planar Proj

Hi Guys,

My first post - I hope you can help!

Overview : I have a character with non-spherical eyes so a simple aim constraint will not suffice as the mesh will poke through as it rotates. So my workaround was to texture a pupil and link the Planar Proj X&Y to the translate X and Y of a eye control object. So the texture moves relative to the ctrl object.

All looked good until i parented the eye ctrl to the head joint and rotated the head - instead of the pupils remaining still (looking straight at the eye ctrl) it is picking up a translate X&Y from the ctrl and thus rotating the pupil texture - which i dont want!

Im not very good at expressions so bare with me! This is what I have:
Father_eye_L_PlanarProj.rotateY = Father_L_EyeCTRL.translateX
Father_eye_L_PlanarProj.rotateX = Father_L_EyeCTRL.translateY*-1

I almost want to put a "relative" after the translate x or something?!

Hope this makes sense! any help would be appreciated! :headbang:

# 2 05-11-2008 , 07:41 PM
sounds like what you have is a typical 'double parented' situation. What's happening is that not only are the textures being told to rotate from the eye control, they also inherit a rotation from the head control itself. There are a number of ways to fix this. Some things to try;
1) Instead of parenting the eye control to the head, try giving it a point constraint.
2) Add a statement to the expression that subtracts the head's rotation

There's a couple of other things you can do too, although its been a little too long for me (need to get back to working on stuff...)

Book Wise

https://X4nd5r.deviantart.com
# 3 06-11-2008 , 07:31 AM
Thats exactly whats happening - the eye object is a seperate mesh and is parented to the head bone - so the texture is getting a rotate/translate value from any movement from the head. Plus the texture its getting input from the eye look at ctrl since it is moving with the head also - even though i am not directly inputing any translate values into the eye lookat ctrl - so as you say its almost doubling the inputs.

Alas my little knowledge of Mel Script and Expressions has left me stumped.

So if anyone has any ideas how to set up a simple eye lookat rig but using the texture instead of the mesh object i'd be very grateful.

Or if anyone can point me to a site where I can learn a few basic expressions/mel that would be a good start for me!

Many Thanks