Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 19-03-2012 , 01:33 PM

floating ncloth

I'm trying to create a table cloth for a scene using an ncloth.

I've looked up several tutorials which all run through the basic set up (create a poly plane with ncloth applied, a shape for the table with passive collider applied, run through some frames and experiment with ncloth presets and settings.)

But I'm not happy with the results, the cloth seems to be left floating a short distance above the table, and has very rounded corners at the edge of the table, like it was made of a very thick, or not so flexible material.

I've tried increasing the resolution of the cloth and had a play around with the settings, but I cant seem to resolve the problem.

I know I can delete the history of the cloth and the nucleus which would turn the cloth from a dynamic object into a deformed plane, which I could then move and re model to my liking, but I was wondering if there was any way I could set up the ndynamincs in the first place to achieve the result I'm after.

Any help would be much appreciated... I'm pretty new to Maya, especially dynamics, so please keep it simple.

Thanks!

# 2 19-03-2012 , 01:48 PM
The thin red line
Has you mesh got enough edges?.............dave

# 3 19-03-2012 , 01:56 PM
Technical Director
You need to set the collision thickness lower.

Under collisions, there's a "Thickness" attribute. You can also turn on the thickness display to help you judge it better.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 4 20-03-2012 , 02:47 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I'd tried adjusting the thickness, on the ncloth, but missed doing it on the passive collider. I've changed that too now and its sorted out the floating problem. However the table now penetrates through the cloth at the corners.

The cloth still looks very rounded at the corners. I'm sure I've got enough edges, as I've tried increasing them until my computer can barely run the animation!

I think I'm just going to take the deformed shape and tweak it manually to what I want, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any further tips on sorting out these types of problems just for future reference.

Thanks again.
Frank

# 5 20-03-2012 , 03:44 PM
The thin red line
Try smoothing with pollys on the cloth and table...........dave

# 6 20-03-2012 , 05:39 PM
Subscriber

I've changed that too now and its sorted out the floating problem. However the table now penetrates through the cloth at the corners.Frank

Try adding more divisions to the table cloth.. or just do as you said, delete the history and move the table-cloth a bit up - noone will ever be able to see the difference.