Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 24-08-2009 , 07:08 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
I agree with NitroLiq and mtmckinley on this one;
Indiana jones 4 great effects poor movie mediocre at best
Transformers great effects shallow movie
Gi Joe again great effects dumb ass movie.

I heartly believe that effects are there in order to make a movie better more believeable or to make shots which are impossible in reall life.
When i look at the movies now they are all about effects, I mean when i think about the latest Harry potter movie which i liked very much storywise by the way, they cut off storystuff to insert a couple of cg scenes (millenium bridge collapse for instance) and as i mentioned in another topic they did some awefull colorgrading very greenish/yellowish if i remember correctly my guess is that they had to resort to that painterly effect because every shot was laden with CG and other special effects or maybe it was an arrogant colorgrader who wanted to put a stamp on the movie who knows?

I have read the synopsis and as far as i can tell it's a mediocre story which will be spiced up by special effects and that makes me sad

# 17 24-08-2009 , 09:16 PM
19 year Veteran
@ Mike: Cameron always writes good stories so AVATAR wont disappoint.

Cameron has been spouting off how this is the most earth-shattering, blowing-the-proverbial-3D-doors, life changing technological wonder ever to be committed to film.

@NitroLiq: I haven't personally heard Cameron say that, I believe thats coming from all the media that has been reporting on the technology since it went into production, but I could be wrong. All I know is that Cameron and WETA have been pretty quiet about it until just recently.

With due respect, pulling the 3D vs 2D card is off the mark. It's like comparing stereo sound to 5:1 surround or heck even mono to stereo, even. Of course it's going to look better in 3D.

All the criticism is coming from the WIP 2D teaser. AVATAR wasn't designed to be a 2D feature. There are things in the teaser that don't play off very well because of the 2D limitation. All of the work flow is done specifically for 3D. It will still play in 2D but it's not going to look nearly as good.

All of the people that I have talked to that have seen the 15 min in 3D had basically no problem with the blue Na'vi aliens. From what I have heard the 3D really sells their design, and performances make you forget that they are CG. All the negative stuff that you hear is really just nit picking, but people are entitled to their opinions and there's nothing wrong with that.

# 18 24-08-2009 , 09:22 PM
EduSciVis-er
Hmm, I didn't know the aliens were WIPs for the teaser... why would they include stuff that doesn't look as good as what it will look like?

# 19 24-08-2009 , 11:14 PM
The Maya Mountain
I dunno. I guess I'm just an old fogey or something. I'm specifically didn't see UP in theaters because all of them were only playing it in 3D. I'm going to wait to get it on DVD (and hopefully in a 2D version).

# 20 24-08-2009 , 11:41 PM
19 year Veteran

Hmm, I didn't know the aliens were WIPs for the teaser... why would they include stuff that doesn't look as good as what it will look like?

Never said the aliens were WIPs, I said the trailer was a WIP 2D teaser. As in many shots were not finished shots. As far as the teaser itself is concerned, it was Fox that wanted it out now, and thats why there are shots in the teaser that are not finished. Cameron didn't really want to release a trailer just yet. But he went ahead and gave in.

I dunno. I guess I'm just an old fogey or something. I specifically didn't see UP in theaters because all of them were only playing it in 3D. I'm going to wait to get it on DVD (and hopefully in a 2D version).

Sorry to hear that mike, but you gotta do what ya gotta do. Nothing wrong with that.

Just curious though, why do you prefer 2D over 3D?

Last edited by THX1138; 24-08-2009 at 11:47 PM.
# 21 24-08-2009 , 11:50 PM
EduSciVis-er

Originally posted by THX1138
Never said the aliens were WIPs, I said the trailer was a WIP 2D teaser. As in many shots were not finished shots.

...sorry, not sure I understand what you mean, if the shots aren't finalized, then I think they should just wait a bit... rather than hyping up a WIP teaser user added image user added image ...I see, saw your edit there.

Anyway, hopefully the final film looks amazing and the effects don't get in the way of a good story, as has been said already...

I saw UP in 3D and in 2D. I would say the 3D enhanced it a bit, but wasn't necessary to make it a good film, and certainly didn't get in the way. The 2D version didn't make you feel like you were missing some dimension, the way some 3D movies do.

# 22 25-08-2009 , 12:08 AM
19 year Veteran
I don't think UP was designed to be a 3D movie. The 3D for it was done in "post" I believe. So in that respect the 3D wont really have an impact.

Avatars 3D is different, it was shot using a special stereo camera so the production is 3D from start to finish. Also, the 3D in all your average movies is real gimmicky ( in your face type ). Avatars 3D is different, it's designed to give you natural depth (real life ). Also, all of Avatars backgrounds and environments are modeled from scratch and it doesn't use any matt paintings. All the people that I have talked to have said the 3D was never eye straining or gimmicky, it look really natural like you were there. Also they are rendering stereo images that take 50 to 100 hours per frame. Thats another reason alot of your average 3D movies are done in postproduction.

# 23 25-08-2009 , 02:05 PM
3D technology can be good and bad. My biggest fear (aside from the movie being too much effect /not enough story/bad acting) is the use of too many fast cuts during action scenes...maybe it's just me but fast camera action + 3D = nausea/headache. My wife's the same way...she has to look away or take off the 3D glasses for a bit. Something like "Up" wasn't too bad because it was smooth in that respect. Sci-Fi action thriller? Again, we'll have to wait and see. I'm sure the hype alone will make this movie tons of money...and epic threads on every CG forum.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 24 25-08-2009 , 05:34 PM
Subscriber
Just saw the trailer, looks decent hopefully...

Dont know why though i kept getting the thought in my head but it felt as if it was a small mix between, LOTR's and Star wars? (I think i have had to much coffee)

# 25 25-08-2009 , 06:17 PM

# 26 25-08-2009 , 06:31 PM
The Maya Mountain
haha, love the delgo comparisons. Cameron must have been going nuts when that movie came out, although it appears to have flopped.

# 27 25-08-2009 , 06:52 PM
Subscriber

# 28 25-08-2009 , 09:05 PM
19 year Veteran

My biggest fear (aside from the movie being too much effect /not enough story/bad acting)is the use of too many fast cuts during action scenes...maybe it's just me but fast camera action + 3D = nausea/headache.

Thats one of the things alot of people have mentioned about the 3D in Avatar. They all agreed that it was well done and never eye straining. Also, just curious how many Cameron films have you actually seen?

haha, love the delgo comparisons. Cameron must have been going nuts when that movie came out, although it appears to have flopped.

Lol, I think some one got a hold of an old Avatar script that has been online for a while and decided to make Delgo. I mention this because I have heard an old script managed to leak out.

Regarding Delgo, that movie was horrible, LOL. I have seen many comparisons between it and avatar. Males me laugh every time I see it.

# 29 25-08-2009 , 09:40 PM
I've seen a good deal of James Cameron films, actually, and like them a lot....aliens, terminator, the abyss, etc. and actually hold the guy with a ton of respect...the deep sea IMAX work he did post-titanic is killer. I'm not bagging on him or his skills...he obviously is a master at his craft and a brilliant guy. That's still not to say the guy is infallible. I just don't want to go out to a night of entertainment only to find myself experience vertigo during crazy battle/flying scenes.

# 30 25-08-2009 , 10:07 PM
19 year Veteran

I just don't want to go out to a night of entertainment only to find myself experience vertigo during crazy battle/flying scenes.

Actually that was Camerons biggest complaint about past and current 3D. Too many people treat it like a gimmick and thats what it has been for a long time. One of his main goals is to make the 3D experience appear natural and pain free.

I remember seeing a 3D IMAX film in vegas a few years ago and the 3D effect was so severe in spots that I had to take off the glasses because it was actually hurting my eyes.

So far every one that I have read about and have actually talked with that has seen the 15 min of Avatar in 3D were very pleased with the results.

The only real problem avatar faces IMO is whether or not people like the story.