Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 26-05-2003 , 06:07 PM
Subscriber

Render problems

I'm having trouble rendering my animation i Maya 4. I have a few very simple frames, but they only render part of the image, then an exception occurs and the rendering aborts. I believe this started happening after I added some fur to my character. Does anyone here know if this is a known bug in Maya 4, and if there is some work around?

from the logfile:
/*****/
Time For Tessellation (hh:mm:ss): 00:00:09
Time For Shadow Map (hh:mm:ss): 00:00:00
Time For Post Process (hh:mm:ss): 00:00:00
Time For Frame Render (hh:mm:ss): 00:00:10
Finished Rendering C:/Documents and Settings/My Name/My Documents/maya/projects/default/images/mussen.59.tga
Automatic near/far clipping values: 0.1, 198.724.
Result: C:/Documents and Settings/My Name/My Documents/maya/projects/default/images/mussen.60.tga
Constructing shading groups.
Rendering current frame.
Error: An exception has occurred, rendering aborted.
Frame triangle count: 151376
/*****/

# 2 26-05-2003 , 06:24 PM
Subscriber
the only thing that comes to my mind is memory.

# 3 26-05-2003 , 06:37 PM
Subscriber
I don't seem to have a memory problem. Maya don't even use half of the available memory when rendering (though it uses 100% CPU).

I have to correct my description above: it doesn't seem to be related to my character having fur. When I remove the fur, I still have the same problem.

# 4 26-05-2003 , 07:06 PM
Run Render Diagnotics from the Render menu. Does it generate any warnings or errors?

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 5 26-05-2003 , 07:14 PM
Subscriber
The Render Diagnostics is a neat feature, thank you for pointing me to it. Yes, it has a lot of warnings. They all go in the style of "nurbsSphereShape4Orig has no shading group associated with it. This means that it will not be rendered. Please assign it to a shading group". I guess I have to learn about shading groups.