Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 27-09-2006 , 07:01 PM

MAYA 7 AND MAYA 8 NOT COMPATABLE!?

I was makin a lightsaber for a class project and it was comming out great.
I was using Maya 7 to do it and I was almost done. I was gonna do some HDRI work to it. Anyway, my school just got Maya 8, so I started working on it (still not used to the shape dragging..). All I had to do was some texturing. I went back to Maya 7, and got some stupid script editor. What is this? I'm really agitated cuz this was my first time doin it and it was lookin great. True, I can use the Maya 8, but I don't get many chances to use it. :headbang:

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 2 27-09-2006 , 07:27 PM
Maya has really never been backwards compatible. If you work with a model/etc... in Maya 7 and then bring the file into Maya 8 the file becomes coded for that particular release.

I know about this because this happened to me when my school converted from Maya 5 to Maya 6. I had brought over one of my files to use Maya 6 but when I took the same file back to Maya 5, I got the famous script error.

Unless you have a backup file saved, you're gonna have to use Maya 8. user added image

"This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting."
# 3 27-09-2006 , 07:45 PM
The Maya Mountain
Yep, Maya has never been backwards compatible.

If you save a .ma file, it's possible to try to convert it to be backwards compatible, but it doesn't always work.

# 4 28-09-2006 , 01:49 PM
Subscriber
If you want to get rid of the interactive primative placement in Maya 8 - simply go to the create menu and go to NURBS and the Polygons, and at the bottom of those two menus is a selected option of interactive placement. Just unselect the option and the primative creation is back to the maya standard

# 5 28-09-2006 , 04:21 PM
Hmm. Okay, I'll see what I can do. I'll continue to update my WIP if I get any time. Thanx.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman