Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 19-01-2012 , 08:17 PM

Tyre Tread With Boolean, Help PLz

Hi everyone.

I'm trying to make tron Bike. but I'm facing problem with modeling Tyre tread ,
I know it works with bump-map. but If I do it with modeling than it looks better with shadow and reflection

As you see in image reference of Tyre I Need to model this line tread, I'm trying to do it with Boolean in both
Nurbs and Polygons. but seem it doesn't work. I can not get it smooth, the Tyre should be close I think.

but anyway if you better way please say something.

regards

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 19-01-2012 , 08:20 PM
Super Moderator
My first thought would be displacement rather than modeling that.

- Genny
# 3 19-01-2012 , 08:47 PM
Thanks Genny
I was thinking about bumpmap of displacement, but I can not get the sharp edge as you see in the image reference.

what tips do you recommend for the displacement?

# 4 19-01-2012 , 10:34 PM
here I made quick displacement and I'm not happy about the edges of the displacement, I set the setting for image quality 300 dpi, jpeg

any suggestions?

regards

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 20-01-2012 , 01:01 AM
Acid44

Last edited by Acid44; 20-01-2012 at 01:42 AM.
# 6 20-01-2012 , 01:36 AM
The Nurb Herd
increase the subdivisions in the approx node.

# 7 20-01-2012 , 06:19 AM
thanks guys for reply

@Acid, you right but i'll end up with hug polygon and plus I have to use alot of edges to create smooth line

@ Honestdom can you explain increase sub where/how?

regards

# 8 20-01-2012 , 08:41 AM
Lifetime Member
dom? adobe illistrator? thats vector based so you shouldnt get pixellation...any comment.

otherwise if you model it dubai3d....you will end up with shitloads of poly's. Or you could create the tread imprint with reasonable poly then boolean..but I still think you will come up with a high poly count. It depends what its for? a game? or just a model...if its a static model...who cares about poly count..as long as your machine can handle it.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 9 20-01-2012 , 09:52 AM
all the reply here are good and useful. but i need to reduce my poly count for rendering.

@ bullet
bullet again. thank bullet, I know you always have something to say. the most of your comment are good and useful. actually its ( static model)for animation of 30 sec. so I need to take care of poly count for the rendering. its 3 wheel of motorbike plus the body and environments.

Yeah I think i should go ahead with illustrator , I need to do some digging about that.

more comment always welcome.

you guys are

regards

# 10 20-01-2012 , 01:44 PM
Lifetime Member
LOL......I always have something to say?? LOL I hope I am not a bothersome character on this site....

If not...try to reduce poly first on the boolean....the replicate....in any way this will be high poly if you model it.

Try AI for the vector, then displace or bump...there should not be pixel edges if you do...I could be wrong? let me know? as I was going to render in vector for USS Defiant...then use that to place cut lines.....yes?

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 11 20-01-2012 , 02:02 PM
I mean you helping ppl alot here. that is why you have always the answers, which is good. i'll try the Ai file as vector and also I am thinking of curve and loft to create this line. that is the only why that I can think about . boolean Nah doesn't work for this model.

Update you guys.

if you know something say something PLZ

regards

# 12 20-01-2012 , 02:37 PM
Here is some result, I'm not done yet but its surface and its Not to bad so far and it looks smooth.

Ahhh It took me all day to sort out this small an simple things, I think I need go out and have fresh air and have a cup of coffee.

here the idea how its works. maybe you know better.

dont forget say something

Attached Thumbnails
# 13 20-01-2012 , 11:35 PM
Super Moderator
What Dom is saying is that MR has an approximation editor that allows the user to do things like smooth mesh at render time and there is even a displacement approx option that you may want to apply to your model. I think its Windows>Rendering Editors>Mental Ray>Approx Editor. In the attributes for this node there are subdivision settings that will allow you to get rid of those nasty jagged edges.

- Genny
# 14 21-01-2012 , 12:47 AM
Lifetime Member
ahhhh Gen...nice.....I didnt know that one..I knew about the smooth one...but didnt really look into the settings...interesting
ctbram will be the man for that dubai3D...he is a NURBS person type

cheers bullet

and thank you mate...I try to help with my limited knowledge

bullet1968

# 15 21-01-2012 , 05:38 AM
I am not really nurbs person but sometime I like to use it bcoz its easy, there is no texture on tyre anyway , I thought that would be easy if I use nurbs

@ Genny

Thanks for the explanation, now its clear where I can do this changing.

I'll try and see how the edges looks like.

thanks guys