Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 17-09-2007 , 09:49 PM

Proxy won't render when adjusted - annoying problem

Hi all,

say I create a proxy. It will render fine at first - but as soon as I adjust my original (even one vertice), when I render I get an error along the lines of "maya.tmr, surface 55 has no faces will not be rendered".

It clearly has faces - I can still see it in my scene view. It's only just started doing this. I've even reinstalled maya, same problem.

Anyone know the cause / a fix?

thanks,

gubar.

# 2 17-09-2007 , 10:14 PM
Lifetime Member
did you delete any faces on the original mesh ?
Try deleteing the proxy and creating a new one from the low poly mesh, this might solve your problem.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 3 17-09-2007 , 11:52 PM
Hi jsprogg,

no, like I said if I even move just one vertice, the proxy won't render - so any adjustment at all screws it up. I can delete the proxy and create a new one, but having to do this every time I make any adjustment isn't really practical. I should just be able to render, adjust, render and so forth.

No one else came across this? I googled it and it has been mentioned elsewhere, but the suggestions I seen (reinstall, change from mentalray to maya software and back) have not worked.

cheers,

gubar.

# 4 18-09-2007 , 03:01 AM
Lifetime Member
I was not suggesting that you create a new one after every component move..lol
To be honest I have never come across this problem, can you go into a little more detail as to exactly whats happening... i.e. does the display show the changes on the proxy ? is it just that when you try to render the proxy mesh looks screwed ect.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 5 25-09-2007 , 02:20 PM
Hi,

sorry for the delay in replying, just back from holiday.

Anyway, what happens is this. I create a new proxy, and render - and the proxy renders as expected. I then adjust my original mesh and the proxy updates. But then when I render, the proxy won't render. I delete the proxy, create a new one and it renders. Then, when I adjust, it won't render. My original mesh will render, but where the proxy is just remains an empty space. It is fine in scene view. It doesn't matter how minot the adjustment is - moving one vertice a fraction causes this error.

This is the error that appears:

// Error: (Mayatomr.Geometry) : Torso1Shape: mesh has no faces, ignored

It just started to happen, it had been fine before.

cheers,

gubar.

Last edited by gubar; 25-09-2007 at 02:27 PM.