Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 09-09-2008 , 11:16 AM

Water monster worm thing from 'the abyss'

I am in the process of making a uni project in maya and the movie is basically going to be a sandbox of lots of different visual ideas.

What i want to do is have a water monster (like the movie 'the abyss')sort of grow out the ground if that makes any sense.

kinda like this:
user added image

my question is whether anyone has any bright ideas as to how to do this that doesn't involve manually key framing vertexes (groan).

Last night i spent a few hours and failed miserably, I tried to extrude the outer rim isoparm of a NURBS cylinder cap as the profile curve, and it was extruded along a CV curve with 15 points.
I then created 2 seperate nurb cylinder caps to use as objects in surfaces - deform>create blendshapes

it didn't work, i get errors that are either
'no deformable objects selected'
or,
'extrude pivot is outside the bounding box etc. etc.'

I will upload pictures in a few hours,
but until then, any new design approaches, or suggestions of how to fix my errors would be greatly appreciated.

cheersuser added image

Last edited by goronpie; 09-09-2008 at 03:14 PM.
# 2 09-09-2008 , 11:25 AM
what if you were to do the same thing with a poly cylinder, create a blendshape for the face to appear, add a lattice to the cylinder and have the lattice follow a motion path so it can slither along?

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 09-09-2008 , 11:29 AM
that sounds like a really good idea thanks neo!

im in a lecture now so i cant try it out unfortunatelyuser added image