Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 04-08-2004 , 02:59 AM

nurbs,polys...etc

Hi!!Could anyone tell me the difference between nurbs,polygons,subdivs..etc and how to recognize them.i.m really new at this...thanxs in advanced.

# 2 04-08-2004 , 03:23 AM
Subscriber
hey well from what i can see is that nurbs are for organic modeling such as ppl, animals, etc. and polygons are for modeling inorganic modeling like inaminate objects-- rock, table, etc.
also from what i can see is that nurbs take up more processing power but are better for animating and bending
subdiv surfaces are really more of a mix between the two
u can use subdiv surfaces if you want it all really depends on what you plan on modeling and how you wanna model it ----check out the "free" dog tutorial in the video training page it shows you a little bit about the differences

# 3 04-08-2004 , 01:08 PM
thanks for the info gohan1842..that really helps....

# 4 04-08-2004 , 01:24 PM
The Maya Mountain
yeah, in reality, all 3 geometry types can be used to create just about anything. The differences are in how they work. It really comes down to personal preferences.

Me, for example. I use polygons for pretty much everything. user added image

# 5 04-08-2004 , 01:28 PM
I've been trying to learn using polygons, and it kind of seems like the hard-core way to get things done...but errr...after the cartoon dog tut, I might be a nurbs convert :o
Why do you model with poly's, mtmckinley? (mike?)

-katie

"a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." - rwe
# 6 04-08-2004 , 01:32 PM
The Maya Mountain
Nurbs have too many limitations for my tastes. The main one being the whole need for patch modeling characters and other complex shapes.

Nurbs also can't be "cut" into and the like and the detail that you add (isoparms) has to travel around the entire model, while for polygons, I can add detail to one part of the model and not have to worry about it on the other side.

I don't use SubDs simply because my computer can't handle them very well.

So, I use polys.

My job also requires polygon usage, which keeps me in good practice with them.

Like I said, though, preferences are a personal thing, and if somone prefers Nurbs or SubDs, that's cool.