Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 28-03-2007 , 07:34 PM
Acid44

game coding

does anyone know of a website where i could go to learn some game coding i want to make a basic game of a car going around a track to put in my portfoliouser added image

# 2 29-03-2007 , 04:19 AM
Ive never done any real game coding, just a really simple card game, in C++, You might heve to ask yourself a few questions what do you want to code in? Jarva, Visual Basic, C++, etc etc as i'm sure that this will influence your game as you will need to learn the language, also if its for a portfolio you might want to see what studios use to code as theres no point leaning a language that isnt used in the sector that you want to go into.

Othe than that when you settle on a language then I would suggest looking to see if theres a website on the subject, and go from there.

Dont know if this helps or just raises more questions!

I think Joopson and MattheMan were making a game of some sorts, maybe they could point you in the right direction??

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 29-03-2007 , 01:50 PM
you could do that in many programming languages but it can often be a big hurdle getting comfortable with the language while trying to do something like that.
I'd say for a simple game then look into flash as there are loads of tutorials and websites about doing such stuff.
There are some simple Java programs also out there that get you into the basics of programming easily (I remember playing with a basic tank game where you had to code your moves which got me into the basics of java).

If you're looking for more 3D based ones without going into crazy functions in code then you could look at Adobe Director which has a 3D model built in that you can get going fairly straightforwardly (though it gets complicated fast).
Another I'm playing with at University is Virtools which has a drag and drop type of programming that gives it a flowchart type look. I got a basic maya character (with animations) imported and running around a 3D level in under a day.

There are loads more but it just depends on the time you have and the complexity you dont mind getting into user added image

Si

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 4 29-03-2007 , 02:49 PM
id suggest getting to know java. it has its own built in (if basic) 3d app language java 3D (also 2D) and is a very powerful language.

I am currently in my 3rd year at University doing a Bsc Honours course in Computer Science and have been using java for about 3 years now. at the moment we are doing a group project creating a multi server platform game (very basic graphics as that is not part of the project) using java. it does depend what your programming ability and the complexity of the game you want to create.

there are loads of example java code out there for all different kinds of functions if you dont want to learn the language. although id strongly recommend taking the time to learn a programming language particularly if you want to get into game creation. I am also in the opposite situation, i have been doing java programming for 3 years and would rather be doing 3D modeling and animation lol so am now learning that off my own back and believe me it is worth it.

if you have any questions about java please lt me know and il do my best to help you.

good luck

robin

# 5 29-03-2007 , 03:43 PM
Acid44
cool thanks guys ill probably look into java because i want to do a 3d game user added image

# 6 29-03-2007 , 05:37 PM
Subscriber
Director has 3d tools that can be used with Maya to make games and it is fairly easy to do.
I managed to make a simple one of a person walking around. It uses Havok for the physics and is really easy to do once you read a few tuts.

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 7 29-03-2007 , 08:55 PM
Acid44
director huh? ill search that up and see what happens!

# 8 29-03-2007 , 09:07 PM
Acid44
would that be macromedia director?

# 9 30-03-2007 , 07:15 AM

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 10 30-03-2007 , 09:20 AM
Acid44
thanks for the link man im reading the "about" section and it sounds sweetuser added image gonna d/l it now:bow:

Last edited by Acid44; 30-03-2007 at 09:23 AM.